Part 6 Crystal Echoes

Rosenquartz watched Red Global rage with complete stillness. The woman let off short waves of red energy that peeled the thick metal floor back in layers, bit by bit.

Gabriel hadn't moved or asked Rosenquartz to do anything, that meant it was Rosenquartz's move. There was only had one plan for this situation - where they usually had seven. Rosenquartz would distract her long enough for Gabriel to catch her by surprise.

The Captain was the only member of Strike Force Gamma who understood Rosenquartz was more than his slow speech. He'd briefed the crystal man before the transport launched. "We need to neutralize her energy powers. If anyone can do this, Quartz, it's you and me."

"You... and... I," Rosenquartz corrected.

"Exactly buddy. I'll watch your back."

Since their opponent had yet to pick a target, Rosenquartz tossed a heavy lounge chair in her direction.

A flickering afterimage prepped Quartz to take a hit. He stood his ground as a fist struck him in the mouth, driving his feet into the floor and almost knocking him off balance. He grit his crystal jaw and made eye contact with her across the length of her arm. Red Global held back but had still expected to hurt Rosenquartz.

The astonishment on her face lasted an instant before Gabriel's fist flew by and hit back - or, it should have.

Rosenquartz was surprised to see a hand extend from the simple black bracelet around Red Global's wrist and catch the super suit's thick gauntlet. He caught a glimpse of the silver bracelet on her other wrist morphing in kind. When Gabriel's armor groaned against the force of the mysterious hand, Rosenquartz did the only thing he could - he channeled every ounce of his strength and headbutted Red Global in the nose.

He connected with a front kick and managed to push the Villain away. She regained her composure quickly after the wind was knocked out of her, but at least Rosenquartz bought some breathing room. The crystal giant grimaced, but his face felt off. He'd expected to send her through the wall, Falco's punch must have been some sort of fluke. Then Rosenquartz noticed a stream of pink dust falling from Global's fist.

She'd broken him.

A terrified hand felt his face - it was true. There was a gaping hole where his cheek should have been. Gut-wrenching fear threatened to freeze him until he noticed his crystals filling the gouge beneath his fingers. He was healing!

Rosenquartz had never taken a serious injury, so there was no way to know if he healed quickly, or if he would take years to repair significant wounds. He prepared to charge at Red Global for everything he was worth with his newfound knowledge.

Gabriel roughly caught Rosenquartz by the shoulder. "Quartz!"

Across from them stood three people. Red Global's armbands were absent, and now two figures flanked her. One covered in inky black mist and the other made of shiny liquid metal. Zero and Omicron Beta.

If Red Global led a strike team, this would be it. From what Rosenquartz had learned in his remedial classes, these three were the only official combat Supers in the Ruchin. They didn't need anyone else to keep the peace in most of Asia.

Gabriel's grip squeezed twice, signaling Rosenquartz to stay still. Red Global's companions weren't moving, but she herself was glowing deep scarlet.

Thick metal arms flanked Rosenquartz's head, screaming as they produced antimatter. "Try to fling it back at her if you can, Quartz." The captain's calm voice faltered for once. "Stay strong buddy."

Two beams of cold, light-absorbing energy blasted to Red Global's sides as she fired her own barrage. Rosenquartz saw Zero cocoon himself in darkness to weather the blow. Antimatter scored Omicron Beta in the arm before he flung himself to the side with a gelatinous splash, and disappeared through cracks in the floor. Then it was Rosenquartz's turn.