About the Bengal

*Dramatically emerging from behind curtains*

Why couldn't I think of a better name for this? Anyway...

Welcome to my very first Encanto fanfiction! Or should I say: ¡Bienvenidos a mi primer fanfiction de Encanto!

That's right! ¡Yo hablo español!

So before I get started, I'd like to introduce my latest and greatest Encanto OC...

Oscar Madrigal! 

The apprehensive but loyal Bengal cat who assists our canonical protagonist, Mirabel Madrigal, in saving the Encanto's magic!

As you can see by the header, Oscar is a slender feline with green eyes and a plumed tail. He is the SIZE of a serval.

His gift is... Drumroll... 

Super Speed! 

I was gonna go with "Enhanced sense of smell" or "X-Ray Vision," but I figured Super Speed was more plausible. I also considered "tail elasticity, "immortality," and "Supersonic Meow."

His gift ceremony was... Different. Like Mirabel, he didn't get a door. Plus he was the only animal in La Familia Madrigal/Encanto in general who has a gift. For this reason, he doesn't feel like a Madrigal.

And now for a bit of angst:

When he feels down in the dumps, he usually tells himself, "Puede que no sea un Madrigal... O al menos no me siento como uno... Pero al menos tengo un gran cabello." 

Oscar is a lightweight cat, weighing less than seven pounds. But for what he lacks in weight, he makes up for in mach speed. Visualize this: he sees a rat (that isn't one of Bruno's rats), he'll have it hunted down and killed in under ten seconds. That's how swift he is.

He gets scared easily (you can imagine him being a nervous wreck at that dinner scene). And when he does get scared, he'll curl up against the nearest person, flatten his ears, and tremble.

But when he's not having a nervous breakdown, his service to the Encanto is "pest control". Like, say there was an outbreak of mice. He'd be on the job in a jiffy.

When Oscar's not on the job, he's spending time with, in his feline eyes, the best family in the world. Don't get me wrong; he loves everybody, but he has the strongest bond with the grandchildren. Allow me to explain...

.............

How Oscar is treated/acts around each Madrigal.

Abuela Alma: Oscar is aware of the generational trauma she's gone through. He understands how she didn't want to lose any more loved ones. He's on his best behavior in Alma's presence, and saves his energy for later when he's playing. He didn't appreciate the pressure she gave him, though...

Pepa: Unlike most other cats, Oscar LOVES rain, and water in general. Not that he enjoys seeing her in a bad mood. Usually when Pepa's in a bad mood and Oscar shows up, her spirits are lifted almost instantly. They relish each other's company.

Félix: Oscar usually gets Félix's attention by either meowing loudly or rubbing himself against his legs, purring up a storm. Oscar is a lover-bug and enjoys playing/cuddling with Félix.

Agustín: When he goes somewhere when there might be bees, Oscar comes with him in hopes of scaring them away. Yet again, he is easily spooked, so if they DO get attacked by bees, Oscar will either run away or hiss at them, but never swats. He's gotten stung before as well, but not as frequently as Agustín. Like the rest of the family, they get along very well.