Opposed to All Foes

This chapter takes place one month after the previous one. The "All of You" song sequence is under way at this point.

New OCs introduced:

Gamberro: An imposing and territorial white-lipped peccary who is allied with Ignacio. His name means "thug" in Spanish. Voiced by Bobby Cannavale.

An unnamed green anaconda, also allied with Ignacio, voiced by Mark Hamill.

You're not gonna like what Ignacio plans on doing with our two forest dwellers...

Hopefully this chapter won't be terribly lazy. It's kinda short, but hopefully not lazy. I've been feeling unmotivated recently, though I shouldn't be, since I have people who are obviously enjoying this fanfiction!

Begins with a flashback sequence that you didn't see in the beginning of the story.

"Abre los ojos... Open your eyes."

The light of the candle reflects from the eyes of an eleven-month-old, now one-year-old Oscar Silvio Madrigal. The young kitten opens one eye, then the other, curiously gawking at it. "So this is where your magic comes from." He whispered. "Mm-hmm. This candle holds the miracle given to our family." Abuela said. Oscar folded an ear. "How did you get a miracle, Abuela?" He asked.

"Long ago, when my three babies had just been born, our Abuelo Pedro and I were forced to flee our home. And though many joined us, hoping to find a new home... we could not escape the dangers... and our Abuelo was lost. But in our darkest moment... we were given... a miracle. The candle became a magical flame that could never go out and it blessed us with a refuge in which to live a place of wonder..."

"An Encanto...?"

"An Encanto. The miracle grew... and our house, our Casita itself, came alive to shelter us. When my children came of age, the miracle blessed each with a magic gift to help us. And when their children came of age..."

"They got magic, too?"

"That's right. And together our family's gifts have made our new home a paradise. Tonight, this candle will give you your gift, mi vida. Strengthen our community, strengthen our home. Make your family proud."

The much younger Oscar felt a slight discomfort at the last few words. He knew that his prima Mirabel was told the same thing when she was supposed to get her gift. But did Oscar care if she had no gift? Of course not. In the life of the Madrigal family, it wasn't your gift that defined you. At least, that's what Oscar thought life should be. He took a deep breath as Casita knocked a clock in his direction, nudging that it was time to start the ceremony.

Oscar gulped, nervous. Terribly nervous. "What do you think my gift will be, Abuela?" He asked. Abuela bent down and carried the kitten in her arm, looking at him with love and pride. "You are a true wonder, Oscar Silvio Madrigal. Whatever gift awaits, will be just as special as you."

Too bad the gift that was given to him wasn't enhanced courage...

*INT. THE COLOMBIAN WILDERNESS - MID-MORNING*

Oscar's crestfallen and tired sigh escaped his lips as he lapped up water from the nearby river. Last night was hard. Last night, he ran into the last person he wanted to see during his ongoing existential crisis; his father. Even though Tawney scared him off, he still can't get over the fact that Ignacio had MIRACULOUSLY found his cowardly son in the vast Colombian wilderness.

And on top of his nerves going off-the-rails crazy, he just made the worst decision of his life; run away from the best family a cat could ask for! Now he's afraid that if he goes back now, they'll hate him for leaving! Oscar had to hold back tears to continue drinking. Tawney observed him with a crestfallen look. "Listen, kid, if it makes you feel better, you're finally getting a break from the domestic life." He said, trying to liven the situation up.