Uncertainty

Just to recap: We introduced you to the family, the self-conflicts going on with Mirabel and I, my first attempt to be a braver kitty being successful...

And now Antonio's ceremony is starting. I'm perched on the railing, next to Abuela. Ooh, this had better work. I need to see what a successful gift ceremony looks like. I MUST!

"Fifty years ago, in our darkest moment, this candle blessed us with a miracle... And the greatest honor of our family has been to use our blessings to serve this beloved community."

Cristo, why does she talk so slow?

"Tonight, we come together once more as another steps into the light... to make us proud."

I was nervous—no, TERRIFIED—about my gift ceremony. And so is he. Casita tried to get him to move, but he didn't budge. He was frozen in one spot. Glued, like I was last year.

He turned to his left and outstretched his hand. Who's he offering a hand to?

...

Oh, Mirabel. I guess she's walking him down to his door. Everyone, myself and herself included, knows that she's not supposed to, but if gets Antonio to budge, that's all that matters to me. Wish I had that confidence...

Especially since her own gift ceremony. She told me about that day... Walking down the aisle, anticipating what gift she could possibly get... And what would've been her door disappearing into the wall. Unfortunately, I could only imagine how distraught she was. And she was only five.

On that note, what a bogus way for someone's birthday to end!

In all honesty, I knew how that felt. My door (which was shorter than everyone else's doors, mind you) faded into the wall, too. Dios mio, did I want to run away. I felt like a flat out disgrace to this family. Sometimes I wonder if Mirabel felt the same way.

Every step for her felt like a painful reminder of our unsuccessful ceremonies.

Abuela, seeing Mirabel walk Antonio down, looked anxious. "Let her do this. It's getting Antonio to move... After all, it's not her fault she's underappreciated when she's trying to help." I whispered, the second half of my sentence laced with ponzoña (venom).

I ignored the condescending look Abuela gave me. I wasn't in the mood for arguing. Especially during a gift ceremony.

It was a slow minute, but Antonio was now at the second floor, in front of Abuela and his door.

"Will you use your gift to honor our miracle? Will you serve this community and strengthen our home?"

Of course... Mirabel and I have been trying to do that... Well, for Mira, the past ten years, for me, the past year.

Antonio nodded to both questions and stood in front of his door. This'll work. It HAS to work. He hesitated for a second, then placed his hand on the doorknob. The door flashed, blinding me for only a split second, then a keel-billed tucán flew in and landed on Antonio's arm.

It chirped at him, almost as if it was speaking to him. "Uh-huh, uh-huh, I understand you." Antonio said, delighted. Hang on... Is his gift what I think it is?

"Of course they can come!"

Wait, who can come?

WHAT'S GOING ON RIGHT NOW TO THIS DAY?!

The toucan squawked loudly. Then a bunch of other animals raced through the crowd to Antonio. Other tucánes, carpinchos (capybaras), pizotes (coatis), colibríes (hummingbirds), and a danta (tapir) or two. His door formed into what appears to be a zoo, with him in the middle!