Chapter 1

The figure ran through the metal catwalks, looking back over her shoulder to the cops who were chasing her. A masked figure, dressed in black from head to toe. It was not unusual for the city of Geniprea, but in this case, it was far from a fashion statement.

This was Geniprea, a city that had lost its royal family to a powerful militia leader and his strong army. It was once a mighty place that thrived like many other sky-high cities but had fallen down thanks to a greedy man.

Now it was a city of crime, ruled by the criminal element with the militia and the police desperately trying to control the decay.

Geniprea was known as the city of lights and the neon city because there were so many neon lights. It was like a bright colour display that was often hard to look at. It was also a dangerous place to be, depending on what level you lived on. It was a city where everyone wanted to stand out, but no one ever did. Unless they were a criminal.

The population of Geniprea was unknown. Life has no value, and death is so common that no one cares to pay attention. The cops investigate when a person goes missing, but their interest is always brief. They're overwhelmed, overworked and understaffed. Death gets a fraction more attention but again, it's limited. What gets them going is the kinds of crimes where they can actually haul a person in, like theft.

Taking the corner with a leap from one side to the next, the thief gained more ground. She looked back, smirking under her mask. They'd never catch her. All she needed was a little bit more of the metal path between them, and she could use her secret weapon.

The cops were perplexed at the figure. She was dressed in black, which was not entirely unusual given what they caught the person doing but uncommon considering that many were obsessed with what they wore and how they appeared.

Like many of the towering cities of the world, Geniprea was fashion obsessed. Figure-hugging suits were the latest rage, but only if they had coloured striping and panels. The better the neon glow in the colouring, the more expensive the outfit was.

Hair and makeup were just as extreme. Natural coloured hair was often seen as boring and indicative of being lower class because of the cost to have the modifications done. Hair dye was the easiest and cheapest, but for those flushed with credits, they could have implants inserted to change the colour whenever they pleased.

The heavy boots of the beat cops clanged against the gantry, lights shone off the glass of the building. Geniprea was a city that stood high in the sky, consisting of many structures, gantries, catwalks, platforms. It was a vast network of pathways that connected all areas and levels. The buildings and paths went as high as fifty levels, including the dangerous sub levels.

The cops looked like a mixture of androids and humans. They were often referred to as humanoids because no one thought they were humans. Underneath the Kevlar suit, the weapons systems and the oxygen tank to regulate their breathing, they were human.

The male cop pulled his gun, aiming it at the figure. Before he could fire, his partner stopped him. She shook her head, then indicated to the crowd that the figure was approaching.

"We'll lose the rogue," he grumbled.

"We do not discharge our weapons in a crowd. Use the stunner."

She pulled it out rather than waiting for the rookie to get his head into the moment. As much as he was twice her size and looked like he'd been in this for longer, he was new to this job.

The figure stopped before reaching the platform, pulling something from the belt at her side. Flicking it open, she hooked it to the rail.

"Now," the rookie said as the anxiety grew. "It's a GAR."

The stun gun was still charging. The cop looked at it and knew it would not be ready in time. The rogue climbed to stand on the top rail, and with a mocking salute, she pulled the line and dropped several levels.

"Grab the line before it's released."

The cops rushed to it, but the rogue had already landed and released the hooks. The line snaked its way back to the holder, and the rogue began to run again. She could hear the cops calling for backup on level fifteen.

Finding another safe point, she pulled the line out again.

"I just love you," she whispered.

The figure realised that she was not alone, and a young woman looked at her with a raised eyebrow. In her arms were several brown paper bags.

"Uh, I love you too."

The figure appeared odd. Not just the lack of colour but the glowing gold eyes and the hard mask that covered the lower half of her face.

"I meant my grab and release line but thanks. If you see cops running around, tell them a lie for me."

The bewildered woman didn't get a chance to answer the stranger.

Hooking the line again, the rogue dropped more levels. She had no idea where she was and didn't care so long as the cops didn't find her. It would take a few minutes to figure it out, but the vast knowledge of this labyrinth would return, and she'd know where in West Geniprea she was.

The rogue looked around. The darkness seemed to encroach on all the corners.

"Below five," she whispered.

Hearing the heavy clang of boots rushing, the rogue looked up. Through the metal grates that the catwalks were made of, she could see the cops were hot on her trail. Setting off again, the rogue kept her footsteps as quiet as she could but knew that no matter how hard she tried, she would always make a sound.

Turning into an alley, she was faced with a dead end and the sound of the cops closing in.

Moving in closer, she assessed the situation. Not so much a dead end after all, the rogue was faced with a high wall and a storm drain. The grate could be moved, and it was large enough that she could slip in and hide. Alternatively, the wooden crates could be stacked to climb over, and she would enter South Geniprea.

Except, they would expect that. The rogue knew that to escape, she had to outwit the cops.

Pushing the boxes into place, she quickly lifted the metal grate and climbed into the drain. Quietly as she could, the rogue pulled it back and waited.

It didn't take long for the cops to appear. Flicking their headlamps on, they scanned the area and found the boxes. Not believing that the rogue wouldn't hide in the boxes, they checked them before climbing to look over the fence.

"Rogue has entered the south. I'll continue to pursue the rogue. You get clearance for the entry."

Anger filled the rookie. He'd barely joined this life, and already the distaste for the other quarters was strong. They had their lines. They did not cross the boundaries.

"The South will never grant it. They'll take over and claim this as their own."

"Well, we can't exactly enter the south district and continue to track the rogue. If we get caught,"

"We won't."

"The rogue will sell us out. We could lose the court battle on a technicality because of this."

"Let the thief try and see what it gets them. Come on. The longer we stand here and argue, the further they get away from us."

The two beat cops climbed over the fence, leaving a rather pleased woman to emerge from her hiding place. As the rogue began to move, her foot slipped on the wet metal and with a stifled shriek, she fell into the unknown.