Chapter 38

"No mourning dress tonight?"

Ana glanced over her shoulder, watching with derision as Pierre approached. It was almost dinner time which meant that he was going to be hanging around instead of leaving her alone. She'd enjoyed the half an hour of standing there without his wretched presence.

Pierre's eyes slid over the tight bodysuit that hugged her lithe frame. Panels and lines were lit up in a soft neon blue that added more beauty to the woman that was already stunning.

Ana's pink hair was swept up into a neat bun. Not a stray hair could be found. The sweet golden glow rose to him. It was stunning, even if she stared at him with a burning hatred.

"If I was granted a month as customary, then perhaps I might be wearing it still."

"If I was assured that you would behave, then I might permit a month but I can't so this is where we find ourselves. I have an unexpected meeting to attend so you will be granted peace and quiet at dinner tonight."

"Fantastic. Have a meeting for every meal, thanks."

Pierre chuckled as he turned and walked back into the outdoor sitting area. It was a vast space between the living and work areas in the lower levels and the private quarters in the upper levels.

He'd spent many days and nights entertaining guests in this area. It had a view of the city that was breathtaking. Pillars sat high, supporting the upper levels. They might obstruct the panoramic view, but it didn't matter to him. It was an area where he could relax and look at the city that belonged to him. The months of planning that almost consumed him, now repaid with the beauty of this building.

Ana watched as Pierre crossed the area, disappearing beyond the security doors. Rolling her eyes, she turned back and leaned on the balcony. She was searching, not that she'd tell Pierre that.

Hunger rolled through her. Ana turned and approached the small table where a fruit bowl had been laid out for her. She picked up an apple and began eating it as she returned to the balcony. The view was as good as she remembered.

This was the spot where Keoni, in all his bravery, told Ana that her father had approved him to be her future husband. She'd given him a glare before turning around to smile. Ana already knew it but was told to keep it a secret until her father told Keoni.

But Keoni had approached the princess that was often seen as trouble, and cautiously told her that they were going to be husband and wife. Until that night, Ana had never seen Keoni as freaked out as he was. He'd battled and protected. He'd face danger every night and never panicked. Ana couldn't believe it but there had even been a sweat trickle sliding down his temple.

Not far away, Theocris approached Pierre as he made his way down the stairs.

"Sir, the maid is waiting outside your office."

"Good. I'd like to ensure that she understands what a valued member of our team means, and to do that, I need what?"

"Uninterrupted privacy. I will place guards at the door."

Theocris found the statement was met with silence.

"Or not at the door?"

Pierre stopped and looked at the corridor. The maid was waiting near the door to Pierre's office.

"One here and one at the other end, same distance. Ensure you are on the other side of that gap."

Theocris nodded, calling for the guards to stand where their leader wanted them. He silently watched as the maid entered the office. He would say nothing about the situation. He'd tried to be diplomatic with Pierre, but the man had his own agenda and there were many times when he was not interested in what was right. Just what needed to be done.

Theocris glanced at the guard.

"No one is to enter the gap between you and the other guard, nor are they to enter his office. Be it on your head if you fail."

He turned and walked away, grateful for a moment of reprieve.

Pierre moved through the room, watching the timid maid as she stood in front of his desk. She was a slight figure that looked at him for the briefest of moments before her cheeks flushed and her eyes lowered to the floor.

"You've earned the princesses' trust."

"Yes, sir."

"Do you think that she would follow your advice if you gave it?"

"To be honest, the princess is stubborn and has had a few years on her own which has made it worse. I can suggest what is right, but that does not mean that she will listen."

Pierre nodded. He sat on the edge of the desk in front of the maid, his hands clasped on his lap.

"It's Leearin, right?"

"Yes, sir."

He smiled at the maid, and in an instant, he knew how to play her. Figuring the maid out was easy and, in this gesture, he could use it to his advantage and move forward with the new plan. The cheeks were a rosy red as the shy embarrassment flushed through her.

"Still, I know that Ana values your years of service to her mother and trusts you far more than anyone else in this place. I'd like for the future to move smoothly, and I know that the princess is going to argue every step of the way. I have an idea, one that I'd like to run past you. If you accept my suggestions, I will reward your efforts."

"What do you want from me?"

"To be a spy. To give me better insight as to Ana's mood and thoughts. To offer subtle hints that this is the right path for the future of Geniprea."

Leearin was stunned. She didn't want to betray the princess.

"I can offer a lot, Leearin. I know that this goes against the rules, your morals, everything that you've ever known. What is it that you desire? What can I give you that will make you say yes to my request?"

Sensing her hesitation, Pierre smiled. It was the charming smile that he used to persuade people that he wasn't that bad. He was a good guy. He offered a boyish charm and dazzling smile.

Leearin let out a hesitant laugh. She didn't know what to do.