Chapter 8

Ana couldn't resist the tempting offer of another night of entertaining conversations and fun with Jiro. He was fast becoming the friend that Ana never thought she needed.

As for what Ana was supposed to be doing tonight, it would wait. Another night of theft was waiting for her. It always was. Ana was a free agent. She could choose when she wanted to work. The person that she dealt with was Garlet Moss. He was a man that, at surface level, owned a five-star restaurant where the cooks managed to do amazing things with the capsules. He'd charge a small fortune for the meals and gave a false view of a man that earned his wealth through a lucrative business.

In reality, he was nothing more than a wise and much-feared gangster that ruled this city. Most of those who came in contact with Garlet found him menacing and controlling. Ana found him to be pleasant. He was like a father figure to her.

She'd apologise to Garlet later, not that he would care. Garlet had a lot of thieves working for him and a few like Ana, who technically were not employees but were a part of his world. It was a partnership that benefited each other equally.

Ana had done her time. They'd earned each other's trust. If there was anyone in this world she could depend on, it was Garlet.

Last night went well. Ana avoided the touchy subjects. If Jiro got too close, she noted that he would quickly pick up on it and change the subject. Usually, he'd say something about her crazy antics and stories, and it would be enough to lighten the mood.

It was also when he mentioned someone named Marama. He'd not talked about her previously, and Ana grew curious, soon learning that she was his girlfriend. Ana noted that his lip curled slightly when he said that word, a sneer that he probably didn't even realise that he'd done.

Curious as to why he reacted like that, Ana pressed for a little more information about Marama. Jiro shrugged with detachment, telling Ana that it was an arrangement and he had no interest in her at all. He didn't arrange it, nor did Marama. It was the leader for their little area who'd organised it.

The most that Jiro had gotten out of Marama was a glance in his direction when she was called into the leader's office. She shrugged and said whatever, then left. They were supposed to marry and have children, continuing their race, but neither of those things happened. Jiro was happy to avoid any conversation about it and, of course, avoid Marama as well.

Ana silently wondered if she'd get to meet the girlfriend, not that she wanted to. Jiro's reaction was enough to indicate that it was probably for the best that several layers were between them.

Tonight though, it was about another night of hanging out and wasting hours with conversations and good food. They'd walked around level five for about an hour before coming across a little diner that was tucked away in one of the outer rings.

The waitress placed a large platter of chips between them. Ana picked up the ketchup and drizzled it over a section.

"So, tell me more about your future wife."

"Please don't call her that. I don't even want to call her girlfriend."

"Why not? Get to know your nice vampire girlfriend, settle down and get married, pop out some little leeches."

Jiro narrowed his eyes. Despite her teasing, he was smiling.

"She's not a nice vampire. In fact, she's the kind of vampire that would smile at your face and stab you in the back when it's turned. I've tried to appeal the decision, but the leader says that we're limited on choices. I can move to another section, but there's no guarantee that I will find someone I like or want to be with. That's if any of the other sections will accept me. The housing situation is far worse down there than it is up here. I was told to be happy with what I was given and should be grateful that she's pretty and of a similar age."

"Sounds like your leader's stuck in an awkward place."

Jiro rolled his eyes.

"Please. Bran has it easy. All he does is sit around and tell vamps what to do or who to be with. I don't want a life with someone who doesn't want me and struggles to be in the same room as me. What kind of a life is that?"

Ana silently agreed. It was a terrible life, one that she wouldn't wish upon anyone.

"I'd rather find a woman for myself. Why can't I do that?"

Ana didn't have an answer. She didn't know much about vampires.

Jiro leaned closer, his eyes narrowing tighter than before.

"I don't think she's visually appealing," he whispered.

"Oh, you poor thing. What's wrong with her? Got a wart on the end of her nose?"

He sighed, sitting back.

"I'm trying to be polite. Yes, Marama is pretty, but I disagree with the leader. I,"

His gaze lifted to the amused human sitting across from him. She ate a chip with a grin on her face that said she knew exactly what his problem was.

"This is not a conversation to have while eating."

Ana picked up a chip, and the end flopped down in her fingers. She grinned and wiggled it at Jiro.

"Is this what you're trying to tell me? You got yourself a floppy chippy, Jiro?"

"Oh my god," he groaned with a chuckle. "You're a monster."

Ana cackled as she ate the chip.

"Time to change the subject."

"Sure thing, flopsy."

Jiro scowled at Ana, who ignored him because she understood she was teasing.

"How about you tell me why vampires can eat food?"

"I have no idea. It's always been this way for me. We starve if we don't have blood, but if we don't consume food, then we're okay. So long as we have blood, then we're fine."

Ana nodded, now curious about vampires more than ever. She lamented that she should have listened to her teacher and learned more about the mysterious creatures.