Chapter 20: Heartbeats

"I want to watch the dusk dissolve into a shade darker; a cluster of stars for you and me

"I want to watch the dusk dissolve into a shade darker; a cluster of stars for you and me."

-----

Samyraa looked around; Felix was nowhere to be found. He was asleep when she had left his dorm, leaving a note of gratitude and having slowly and quietly shut the front door to not wake him up from his slumber.

He was fine last night, wasn't he? The two had joked a lot, and she had enjoyed his company enough. He was, obviously, a very supportive friend, and she was just commencing to think that maybe, maybe, she had a chance with him. 

But he was nowhere to be seen today. 

Sighing, she pursed her lips and drew out her notebook for the first class.

-----

Raindrops fell from the thunderous, dark clouds, slipping down the windows of Felix's dorm. He aimlessly stared out of the glass window, watching the way those raindrops created rumbles in the puddles on the ground. He had no motivation to move, his mind thoughtless and his body exhaused.

Why was he so tired? He didn't know.

All he knew was that he had somehow, unintentionally, hurt Chaeri, and that ate up his insides.

He was sitting silently, his energy drained out of his body right after that confrontation with Jeongin. And he barely noticed the knock on his door, which merely woke him up from his zone. He lazily waddled up to the door, and opening it, he didn't expect to see her.

Yang Chaeri. Standing awkwardly in front of his door.

"Chaeri!" he gasped, and without another sane thought, he leaped at her and took her in a big hug.

Chaeri almost stumbled back, suprised by the sudden attack... and a pleasant one at that. But she couldn't help but live in the moment, just as she had learned all throughout her life. So, she wrapped her arms around his figure.

Upon feeling him tremble against her, she parted from the hug and rested her hands on his shoulders. And looking at him, she saw that he was crying.

She knitted her eyebrows together and frowned, not knowing how to calm him down. She dragged him inside his own dorm, and shutting the door behind them, she voluntarily enveloped him in her arms, her head against his chest.

She heard his heart pumping harshly, and his breath was ragged, so she rubbed her hands up and down his back soothingly, as if consoling a little child. She nuzzled her head against his chest in a cat-like motion, and felt his heart rate run back to normalcy.

Felix and Chaeri stood in that position for a long moment, until his tears could no longer escape his eyes and his breathing was stable again. Once she noticed that, she parted, using her sleeve to wipe the remnants of the tears that were stuck on his face, clearing out the tear-stains on his beautiful freckles as well.

"I-I'm sorry I hurt you, Chaeri," he spoke, his voice hoarse.

She shook her head, immediately drawing out her notepad and pen from her pocket to write down: it's okay, Felix. I know that you didn't intend on making me feel left out.

"But I must've gone wrong somewhere... right?"

She wrote: my feelings aren't your fault, Felix. I chose to feel a certain way about you, so you don't need to apologise for that.

Felix remembered how Jeongin had told him that she liked him. Personally, he wouldn't mind that, because he truly didn't know how to feel about her yet. It was true; she was extraordinarily kind, beautiful, smart, and oh, those gorgeous eyes!

And a red hue colored his face, so he averted his eyes and stammered, "Y-Yeah, but why did Jeongin yell at me? What did I do?"

Chaeri hesitated before writing, burying her conscience six feet under: I wanna be Samyraa.

"What? Why?"

She pursed her lips: because she's someone you like... and she can say it back.

"I just like her as a friend, Chaeri..."

Her eyes widened, and she looked up at him questioningly. Understanding her questioning gaze, he reassured, "Yes! She's just a good friend of mine."

An unconscious grin spread across her face — that of relief and reassurance.

"Say, are you still mad at me?"

She shook her head, and Felix heaved out a sigh, "Thank god..."

(a/n: I FINALLY FOUND A THEME SONG FOR THIS BOOK, AND IT'S CALLED "CLEMENTINE" BY HALSEY!! I even edited the introduction and tagged it there. Do listen to it if you want the full feel of this book! :D

AND OMG THIS BOOK FINALLY HIT 2K!! THANK YOU SO MUCHHHH <3

Did you like the chapter?

Thanks for reading! I love you!)