that's right, I am a book kisser

𝐃𝐄𝐀𝐃𝐋𝐘 𝐇𝐄𝐀𝐑𝐓𝐒

( CHAPTER FOUR ! )

❝ 𝘵𝘩𝘢𝘵'𝘴 𝘳𝘪𝘨𝘩𝘵, 𝘐 𝘢𝘮 𝘢 𝘣𝘰𝘰𝘬 𝘬𝘪𝘴𝘴𝘦𝘳 ❞

PEACE IN THIS WORLD IS NONEXISTENT. We are gifted mere moments of silence—the breath in-between all the chaos—and we convince ourselves that there is a possibility of normality in this life. And then, as if we were never free in the first place, reality grabs us by the throat, and we're suffocating again.

The night was spent with the group of us huddled around the campfire. Rick was surrounded by his family as he spoke of his journey through the beginning of the apocalypse, which sounded like it sucked.

Shane was acting a bit off, and the reason why was obvious—well to me at least, both Liam and Cal said that the stick up the man's ass probably just got shoved up a bit higher. I knew of what was presumed had happened to Carl's father—that he was supposedly dead. When Carl opened up to me a bit talking about his family and about his relationship with Shane, he was very adamant to say that the man was just a close friend of the family. But, from what I could see, the relationship between Shane and Lori felt like it was more complicated than that. Shane's reaction to Rick, his best friend , suddenly rising from the grave when he should have been decaying only confirmed my suspicions more so.

I won't judge their actions—any of them. It's their lives and, honestly, I have no right to get involved in it, nor do I have the right to express my own opinions on the situation—or to even have an opinion in the first place. The only thing that mattered was the boy who's head was resting in my lap as he slept on the ground beside the fire.

I was attempting to braid his short hair, much to his dismay. Yet, even though he protested it at first, Cal must've enjoyed it more than he let on considering the not-so-subtle snores escaping his mouth. I suppose the other tall boy who sat beside me, letting me lean against his shoulder a bit, also mattered to me. And his brother, Glenn, who was sitting on the opposite side, mattered too.

In this moment, I can't help but feel a false-sense of peace, for I am experiencing a very rare moment where there are almost no worries to cloud the serenity of the scene. Of course, almost is never good enough.

Questions of the Dixon brothers and how to handle that mess were stuck in everybody's minds—well, everyone except my brother who is too busy dreaming about god knows what to worry about anything else. Would we go back for Merle? And if so, who would go? How would we tell Daryl that everyone but his piece-of-shit brother came back unharmed? So many questions and absolutely no answers to a single one of them.