I am, I am, I am

𝐃𝐄𝐀𝐃𝐋𝐘 𝐇𝐄𝐀𝐑𝐓𝐒

( CHAPTER SEVEN ! )

❝ 𝘐 𝘢𝘮, 𝘐 𝘢𝘮, 𝘐 𝘢𝘮 ❞

HUMANS ARE—if anything—the full embodiment of frail. Unbelievably fragile and decadent little things that seem to crumble when hit with even the slightest breeze. Mankind was not ready for the end of the world, and instead of rising up, we did as a plate would if it had fallen to the ground and shattered in its' wake. I had been avoiding this fact; that this new way of life was not something I was made to survive. However, at some point, even the hardest of truths must be faced with utmost ferverence.

Amy's death was nothing less than tragic and heartbreaking—and then, on top of this, we lost Jim. We were never close, the small group of ours at the camp, yet I still for some reason feel as if a piece of me has been taken. I felt oddly empty; there was no sadness for their loss, no relief that we were now in the midst of one of the safest places to be during an apocalypse, no joy that I was able to eat an actual meal with my family, I just felt nothing.

Everything was wrong; the laughter and stories everyone was sharing, the drinking until their heads toppled over, the stuffing themselves full with all the food their stomachs could hold. Dale was filling up glasses with red wine and passing it to all the members, far too tipsy to even realizing that both Liam and I were still minors as he handed us each a cup.

"Ah, reminds me of the good old days." Liam sighs dramatically as if he were some rich housewife, twirling the glass in his hand as he actually sniffs the wine. "Wanna gossip about our millionaire husbands and first world problems?" He asks me with a wink accompanied by his signature grin.

"Oh, darling, can you even believe that Tiffany's husband bought her a new Range Rover with basic leather seats and not the Italian finish? They must be having financial problems." I find myself playing along with his nonsense despite my current internal dilemma. To me, this felt like the most natural reaction.

And, with him, it truly was just as simple as that. Natural. Real.

"Definitely. Did you hear about their son, Harry? Apparently, he lost his full ride to Dartmouth when he broke his leg in that football tournament last Spring. Tiffany had wanted to use home remedies even thought her husband's brother, William, is a doctor. Poor boy. How are they ever going to afford sending him to an ivy now?" Liam shakes his head solemnly.

"Can you two go be weird somewhere else? Some of us are actually trying to enjoy our meal here." Cal's voice cuts in from beside us, causing us both turn our attention to him, but all we are met with is a stare full of disappointment as he shakes his head at us. "Right, Glenn?"