CHAPTER 1: PRESS START

Author's note: Hello, Author here! Just wanted to mention to readers that this light novel is purely Malaysian based and will have a lot of Malaysian influences in terms of language, location, culture and also character styles. Thank you :)

The arcade was louder than usual today

The arcade was louder than usual today. Maybe it was the sound of schoolchildren during the holiday season. Maybe the machine volumes were turned up louder than usual. Kian puts some of the 20 of the 50 Ringgit he got for his recent PT3 results into the token machine. The sound of coins pattering within the metal collection hole was barely heard over the noise of the arcade. Kian picks them up and puts the heavy stash into his hoodie pockets. He looks upon the various machines, deciding on which game he wants to play. He didn't even know why he came here, but it was better than being home alone on his computer again.

Kian sits down in one of the racing machines, only because nobody else were at these ones and plopped two coins into the slots. He was almost done selecting a track when the screen showed a new challenger joining. He looked to the side and there was a figure sitting at the machine next to him. The figure wore a dark green hoodie, a cap and a mask making their face indistinguishable. He smiled at the figure but it didn't seem to give any response. Well, at least its going to get exciting.

Kian could not believe what happened after that. This mystery person kept beating him in every single race, which made him lose almost all of his coins. Now all he had were two more and at this point, if he didn't win, he didn't know what he would do with himself. Whoever this person is, they must have been really, really good but all he could think of at that moment was beating this person. 

The last race was intense, he definitely felt sweat this time and his jaw was clenched the entire race. There were points when both of them were literally side by side on the track and it took all of Kian's know how and experience (even if it was very little) to push his car on.

"Finally got ya!" Kian exclaimed, pointing at the figure as he crossed the finish line ahead of them.

The mystery person slowly turned to look at him. He gulped. Did he do something wrong? Suddenly, the person gave a smile judging by its eyes, then took another two coins out of their pocket. Kian groaned, knowing this time he was really going to get it. The figure giggled in a high pitch which confused Kian, who thought it was a guy like himself. The mystery person entered the two coins into the machine as Kian looked forward once more preparing himself.

"OI!"

He suddenly heard an exclamation from behind him. The person and him both turned around to see a woman in a sundress walking towards the figure. The woman yanked the mystery person out from the machine by the arm and pulled off the hoodie and cap causing black, wavy shoulder length hair to flop out. Kian was right, it was a girl.

"Playing games again! Didn't I say those things will rot your brain? We are going home!" The lady aggressively said to the mysterious person.

He watched as the girl was led by the hand towards the exit. She turns back and looks at Kian who was suddenly awestruck by the fact a girl could beat him in a game.