CHAPTER 8: UP DOWN LEFT RIGHT

Kian yawns and stretches

Kian yawns and stretches. He quits his game and puts his laptop and gear back into his bag. Kian gets up from the chair and table setup beside his mother's bed in the ward visiting hours are ending soon; looking at his mother in front of him, fast asleep. They had a nice conversation in the afternoon after she woke up from her slumber. He updated her on his tries to find a team that will take him in as well as his unluckiness in that aspect. All she did was give him her tender smile; she didn't speak much but Kian knew she was listening. He was also getting better at controlling his anger due to the fact he was forced to remain quiet at all times during his visits.

Kian looks at the girl's bed but it was still closed by a curtain. He sighs. It's been four days and they haven't opened it for him to take a look. His mother was going to be discharged tomorrow so if there was any interaction to be made it had to have been the past few days. He just had to know whether it was her or whether that green jacket was merely another one in a sea of green jackets.

Kian scoots out of his setup and walks towards the exit while adjusting his hoodie when he suddenly hears something plastic drop on the ground within the ward. He looks around and finds a pen on the floor near where the girl was warded. He walked over towards the pen and picked it up. The curtains around the bed were closed and he didn't know if he should enter or not.

"M-my pen please." The girl's voice was heard past the curtain. It was soft and timid, and there was a tinge of a Chinese accent in there.

Kian was stunned at the opportunity he was given. This was his chance. "Um, should I...come in?"

"No, please. Just..." The voice stopped. Clearly even the girl didn't know how she was going to get the pen back.

Kian cringed at what he said. Maybe he shouldn't have been too transparent with his intentions. After all, it could be another girl altogether. He scratched his head and looked at the pen in his hand. It was one of those cheap Faber-Castell pens you would find in any bookstore. Maybe she was doing some drawing or writing something down? "I think I need to draw the curtains a little isn't it?"

"Y-yea..." The girl said. Kian stepped forward towards the curtain.

"I'm drawing the curtains, ok? Will the bedside table be this side?" He pressed through the curtain so the girl can hopefully see where he was.

"I-Its there. Don't open the curtain too much. I'm kind of...exposed."

Kian felt blood rush to his face. What the hell does exposed mean? A few mental images crossed his mind but being the innocent boy he was, he suppressed them and shook his head. Kian draws the curtain closest to the wall a little using his right hand and tries to peer in with one eye without looking at the bed. 

He looks down and sees the table, placing the pen in his left hand onto it. The temptation to look at the bed creeped over him like an ugly shadow but he quickly draws the curtain close and turns outwards to the ward.