Ftm!readerxMeilin: Ceremony

This is a (fluff/action i think) oneshot where the reader is ftm (he/they) with Meilin as their love interest. I'm sorry to the person who requested this that it took so long.

It was another day, and yet another ceremony. 

You were finally of age to get a spirit animal. Not that you were expecting to. But there was that sliver of a chance that you could summon one. 

That's all it took for hope to worm it's way into your heart. Every one of your family members, of age, had tried and now it was your turn.

The crowds billowed into the open square and formed a large ring around the stage. Most kept a respective distance away from both the Nectar and the Greencloaks that guarded it. 

As everyone settled down the ceremony started. There were other besides yourself receiving the nectar today. But only one of them mattered to you. Meilin. 

You guys used to hang out a lot, but her training far outpaced your own, leaving you to train by yourself. 

She wasn't here yet though. You were standing akwardly in the back. Your best tunic and pants gave you a noble air that was nearly to much for you. 

Meilin was still preparing. The most important people always went last. It was something had made you slightly sad. She couldn't see you summon a spirit animal.

"Y/N of Zhong, please step forward." 

You nodded sheepishly and approached. Before you got there, you saw a flash of fabric in the corner of your vision. An out of breath Meilin tackled you into a hug from behind and you lurched forward with a grunt. 

Whispering in your ear she said, "Good luck, I know you can do it." Then gave one last caring pat as she was whisked away towards the side.

You both knew that it was a break of protocol, but it was not a shock for the city. They knew you two were rather good friends, and though they didn't know of the training you guys did in secret, they knew of the late night walks to towers and through the forests that often occured.

You stood at the edge of the raised platform, not stepping onto it. Then Sheyu the local Greencloak walked forwards. A woman was to the side of him. Feet bare, with a short thin stature and feathers in her hair. There was a exotic looking bird beside her.

As Sheyu lifted the cup to your lips, you take a sip. It tastes sweet but then overbearingly bitter. Like it was trying to warn you of what was to come. You gave an inaudible cough before a brilliant flash of light exploded.

Then at the base of your feet you saw sleek silver fur with white and dark stripes. A mask of black fur circles it's eyes and tail. It was a racoon. 

A bubble of joy rises in your stomach and its almost like you're stuck in place. The racoon looks up at you and you're sucked into their brown eyes. Everything else is filtered out in a haze. They chattering a bit before placing a paw on your knee. Just like that everything becomes almost too bright. But you could tell it was your spirit animal. 

With a breath you face the crowd. Almost immediately you find that sounds and movement stick out like a sore thumb.

Then just like that everything calmed down. 

The feather lady led you gently off stage with your partner to wait for Meilin's turn. "Congratulations, young man. You're quite lucky. I'm Lenori and I'll be with you shortly."

Without another comment she gave a little hop back onto the raised ground.

Then Sheyu stepped forward and announced the second name, "Meilin, daughter of Teng, please come forth and recive the nectar of Niani."

You watch Meilin walk forward and take a sip. Those two seconds you could hear only the small ruffling of the crowd leaning in. An almost invisible grimace passed her face. It was probably the bitter feeling you also got. 

As that thought passed, a bright light filled the area and a huge panda appeared.

Shock filled your stomach and reached its tendrils up your throat. That couldn't possibly be who you thought it was. 

No surely not.

It was one of the great spirits. Jhi.

You ran forward, most certainty out of line, just like the young warrior did, and hugged her in a huge warm, overly sweet embrace. The mirth and joy was practically radiating off her.

 One hand she kept on the spirit's head while the other wrapped back around you. A few seconds passed before you heard someone clear their throat.

Lenori and Sheyu both beckoned for you two to come forward. You guys all faced out towards the rippling mass of people.

Giving a shout in unison the said, "Meilin has fulfilled the prophecy that most have forgotten! Jhi the fallen has returned to Erdas! Let us rejoice. Y/N has summoned his spirit animal. Give them your wellest wishes and we shall be off."

You two were then ushered off the stage making your rounds past people for what felt like hours. People were crowded mostly around Meilin and you couldn't blame them. The immense amount of power you could feel radiating of her was unlike anything you've ever felt before.

Jhi trotted after her slowly. If you missed the glances that she gave you would've guessed she was completely oblivious.

Your own spirit animal had jumped onto your shoulders and draped its head next to yours. As got into an isolated room and the people were shooed away by both Greencloak, they circled back around and hesitated.

Lenori was the one to speak up, "Meilin and Y/N would you care to join us back to the conclave? You will have a day to prepare and make your good byes."

You both nod in sync. And a proud and satisfied grin was mirrored on your faces.

With that the two ladies left to clean up and Meilin and you were left alone.

Meilin looked at you closely, "Y/N, I was wondering if you'd care for another lesson at our old sparring ground. It will be the last one in a while."

Nodding you two link hands and dash back out, completely unprepared for what was to come.