━━━ PROLOGUE

o. prologue

  LIFE IN NUMBER 4 OF PRIVET DRIVE was normal

  LIFE IN NUMBER 4 OF PRIVET DRIVE was normal. They would wake up, discuss the daily news and the neighbours at breakfast, going through the same routine during lunchtime and dinner. More often than not, Evangeline's dad would complain about coworkers or someone being obnoxious in public.

 Just the same day happening over and over again, and Evangeline was getting tired of it. At the recent new age of eleven, the most interesting thing she had going on was school. School.

 She craved for something out of the ordinary, anything to get out of the monotony that was her family.

 Thankfully, sometimes she got to change things up. That morning, she had managed to get to the kitchen before anyone woke up, and cooked breakfast for everyone. Normally, her parents got her cousin to do it. And he was eight. Evangeline was sure that how they treated Harry was child abuse, and she didn't know how they had gotten away with it. (Why didn't adults believe her when she reported it? It wasn't fair.) So, yeah, apart from having a family completely boring, they also sucked. Big time.

 Once the rest of the family members arrived, Evangeline had already eaten her breakfast and cleaned the plates.

 "I'll get the mail," she said, rushing to get out of the kitchen.

 She knelt beside the front door and grabbed the letters. Bills, bills, drill company, bills... She frowned at the last one.

MS. E. DURSLEY
The East Bedroom
4 Privet Drive,
Little Whinging
SURREY

 That was her.

 «The East Bedroom», she repeated in her head, questions coming to her mind. How would someone know which bedroom was hers when she didn't even know hers was the east one? And why would it be so weirdly specific?

 "Mum!" she called, heading for the kitchen. "This one has my name on it."

 "Oh, honey, read it," her mum insisted, a tight smile on her face as she turned to Evangeline's dad. "Vernon, it might be the response from the school!"

 Evangeline had almost forgotten about that. At the start of the year, her parents had made her apply to a ton of different schools within the area (and some were even boarding schools) because she had such good grades that they were sure that she would get in. What Evangeline was sure of was that they were subtly trying to get rid of her.

 Her dad tore his eyes away from the newspaper and analyzed the kitchen as if he had just realized that he had had company while he had been reading about the newest drills in the market.

 "Dudley, go to your room," he said, before turning to Harry and hastily saying, "You too."

 She ruffled her cousin's hair with a small smile as he left, before ripping carefully the letter open, trying not to break the pretty red seal.

HOGWARTS SCHOOL of WITCHCRAFT and WIZARDRY

Headmaster: Albus Dumbledore
(Order of Merlin, First Class, Grand Sorc., CHF. Warlock, Supreme Mugwump, International Confed. of Wizards)

Dear Ms Dursley,
We are pleased to inform you that you have been accepted at Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry. Please find enclosed a list of all necessary books and equipment.

Term begins on 1 September. We await your owl by no later than 31 July.

A representative of the school will come to your home and answer any questions you might have.

Yours sincerely,
Minerva McGonagall
Deputy Headmistress

 She stared dumbfounded at the piece of paper, deciding to read it again. Someone wanted her to study at a school of magic to... What, become a wizard? Like the ones her classmates had at their birthday parties but her parents hated the sight of?

 Evangeline turned the paper, a blank page meeting her eyes. It didn't even say the location of the school, so how was she supposed to check it out before term started? She frowned, once again reading the handwritten words.

 "Evangeline, what does it say?" said her mum, and when she looked at her she realized both her parents were practically hanging to the edge of their seats.

 Right, it concerned them too.

 "I... got accepted into a school, " she finally said, looking up from the letter, unbeknownst to her that it would be the last time her parents would ever look at her with such pride in their faces.