Chapter 33 (Colette) Complications

Chapter 32

Complications

(COLETTE)

Mom and I stood at the bar sipping Godiva martinis. Mom felt rather indulgent "drinking" her dessert but I insisted that she order one. They are totally awesome. Chocolate plus Vodka equals heaven.

Plus mom needed a strong one. She'd been looking over her shoulder for Brice all night. I was pretty sure that Brice was at the engagement party already. He was just avoiding us like the wimp he was. The party was going on in three adjoining rooms and there had to be at least 250 people there. It wasn't hard to avoid people if you really kept at it. Perfect strategy for a wimp-ass douche like my older brother.

As mom looked around doing reconnaissance she didn't notice that Jacquelyn Tracy had slipped into our circle.

"Erica!" She sang the words, "I see you're trying one of those Godiva martinis. Aren't they divine?" I thought to myself—Jacquelyn Tracy might just be drunk. The only time rich North Shore people remove the collective sticks from their asses is when they are inebriated.

"Yes, but I'm sure I'll pay for it tomorrow in yoga class," Mom tried to smile but I could tell she felt awkward. Neither of us wanted to talk to Siobhan's mom. Plus Jacquelyn was just talking to us to be diplomatic.

My mom had been uncomfortable all night. She kept looking at her watch. She said once or twice that everyone was staring at her and that she wished Dad were here. Then when I stayed around she just said to go and be your friends instead of hanging out with an old lady all night.

Jacquelyn laughed in agreement, "You're telling me. I have tasted just about everything we have here tonight."

"Oh, but Jacquelyn, you always look fabulous."

"Thanks. But do you know what my secret is?" She leaned and smiled gleefully, "When I throw a party or a dinner, I always order food I don't like. But I left half of tonight's menu up to Siobhan so my plan was foiled." She said it like she figured out how to make cars run on water or something. Like it was this big dieting discovery. Maybe you should write a book, lady. Jacquelyn Tracy's Guide to Surviving on Vodka and Pompousness. Best-seller list.

Mom put down her Godiva martini. She probably didn't want to throw it up. She tried to be cheery, "Well, everything is fantastic, Jacquelyn. You always do such a nice job."

"Thank-you. Are your children enjoying the party?" Jacquelyn asked but she didn't give a crap if me and Blaise were having a good time. She thought our family was a circus act for her friends to talk about over cold salmon and bloody marys that week at the country club.

Mom smiled at me and pretended not to notice what a complete bitch Jacquelyn was, "Yes, they are. Colette loves your decorations and Blaise seems to be enjoying catching up with your eldest Sean."

"And Brice? I haven't seen him yet," Jacquelyn knew the full gravity of the question. Like I said. Bitch.

"I have not seen Brice yet tonight," Mom replied quietly.

"Really? I'm sure he'll make an appearance though." Jacquelyn looked at her watch, "Ben is, after all, his brother-in-law."

"Yes, I'm sure he'll be here."

"Of course he's probably working late. You know how lawyers are when they have a big case," Jacquelyn said flippantly. Did I mention how much I hate this woman?

"Yes, this case will cost him dearly," Mom rallied herself, determined not to appear broken in front of this pompous bitch.

"And, oh, it must be so difficult for you," Jacquelyn took mom's hand and did her best to come off concerned. I wanted to punch her square in her perfectly redone nose.