Chapter 24: Voice from the Other Side of Darkness

[Sound of the boys speaking heard from the bottom of the well]

TOM: What do you think is down there?

JAMES: I have no idea - but I'd like to find out.

TOM: Probably Just water - I'd think...

JAMES: Probably...

MAN: Or Perhaps Not.

TOM: But what if there's something else down there?

MAN: What a wonderful idea...

JAMES: I suppose one of us should go down and find out

MAN: I wonder which of you it will be.

TOM: I'm not climbing down that!

MAN: Oh, Tom - you're always such a damper on the fun, aren't you.

JAMES: But you're far lighter than me, and I'm far too lazy to climb back up. If I went down I'd most likely become a frog at the bottom instead of coming back up.

TOM: I won't be able to see, it's pitch black.

JAMES: There's lots of light from above, it only looks that dark because it's so light up here, I bet the second you get down far enough it won't seem so scary

TOM: It isn't scary.... I'm not scared James.... Seriously I'm not.

MAN: He doesn't believe you, Tom - and neither do I.

MAN: I may as well move this along. If I pinch here, and tug just a little there - that should do it.

The thing which Reverend Albit called "The Man In The Cave", and whom Mother Cyprian and Old Man Alfie both refused to address at all, stood at the bottom of the well, his presence completely unknown to the boys above. Had they been listening, they would have heard him egging them on, using words that itched at the back of their mind, but were not quite heard with their ears.

His keen eyes radiated in the dark, as he began to reach out, with searching fingers.

There are differences in the dark, there are differences, that to any normal man, woman, and child are imperceptible. But to the man made of ash and soot, these differences were as clear as a translucent crystal stream and the fish wriggling in it.

No matter what they say - a shadow does not disappear in the darkness - it simply can't be seen as it runs about, and scales the walls and ceiling.

James's shadow simply hung there, limp and void of any sentience.

MAN: Small people - small minds - cast small shadows.

His nails, jagged as they were; dirty, and talon-like in their sharp edges, found the thin fabric of James' shadow. The angle of the mid afternoon sun had cast it down the well, and it just dangled there in the dark.

MAN:
Oh you're almost there James - I can feel it. Be a good boy.

His fingers lifted the face of James' shadow which hung limp and wriggling loosely, mimicking it's master as he leaned closer, as if whispering in its ear.

[James and The Man in The Cave Speaking In Sync]

MAN: I'll flip a coin
JAMES: I'll flip a coin

TOM: No, I don't want to.

MAN: I don't care what you want, maybe you're meant to.
JAMES: I don't care what you want, maybe you're meant to.

TOM: What? Why? Why do you care so much?

MAN: I don't care - you should care though - if it's your destiny, your fate, and you're denying that then I can't imagine what terrible things happen to people who deny fate.
JAMES: I don't care - you should care though - if it's your destiny, your fate, and you're denying that then I can't imagine what terrible things happen to people who deny fate.

TOM: What are you talking about?

MAN: Heads - you go home and we forget about it. Tails - you climb down the rope into the well.
JAMES: Heads - you go home and we forget about it. Tails - you climb down the rope into the well.

[sound of flipping a coin]

ALFIE: What on God's green earth do you boys think you're doing? Get away from there!

TOM: Well... was it head or tails?

MAN: Well would you look at that - tails.
JAMES: Well would you look at that - Tails.

Fast and swift the man who dwelt in the darkness at the bottom of the well gripped James' shadow with both hands - while full intent and, whispering his bloody and ill intended wishes in the dark, he gave one swift and mighty tug, yanking the shadow of James who stood above.

[that same sound clip of it falling but i guess try and make it sound like its coming towards the listener instead of away, with the splash being like directly in front of the listener]

MAN: Oh Tom! It seems you've had a bit of a fall - and now you're all broken.