chapter one

you had been a friend of mirabel's for a while now. a friend with a somewhat hopeless crush on her, but still.

it was a few days before her cousin antonio's ceremony. you were sitting with her silently, just thinking to yourself, mirabel thinking to herself, when all of a sudden you broke the silence.

"if i were casita, you would've gotten a gift."

mirabel shifted slightly, smiled softly, and then said, "that's sweet, (y/n). but i don't need a gift. i'm fine just the way i am. but, i do appreciate the sentiment, so thank you."

"but no one sees you the way i see you since you don't have a gift."

you saw her face change, a slightly confused expression across it. "what do you mean by that?"

"well... i think you're amazing, gift or no gift, but no one else seems to see you like that."

mirabel frowns. she knows that too well. she's known that all her life, and it felt like it would never change.

"maybe, but you like me as i am, and so does antonio, and so do my parents, and..."

"mirabel!" you heard someone else shout, but you couldn't tell who it was.

mirabel jumped up to leave, but turned back to you to say, "uh, see you later?"

"yeah!"

you left after her, planning to go home, when suddenly, you passed by dolores on the way out. she simply gave you a look, squeaked, and then walked away.