XXVIII.

— XXVIII —

I rise in the early purple light of dawn, before the Elves of Imladris begin to stir. However, I am not alone as I traverse the halls. Tilda finds me shortly after I leave my chambers, tailing me like a shadow as I gather things for our departure from this safe haven. My departure, but not hers.

She will thrive here, just as I had as a young girl. I expect her to flourish under Elrond's careful eye in my absence. Otherwise, I would never leave my ward.

The girl's arms go around my torso before I leave familiarity behind. I return the embrace, pulling her close.

"I want you to cause chaos," I whisper into her ear. "Don't let them get too comfortable with the fact you are a human. Elladan's weakness is his humor. Get him laughing and he will be open for you to strike." Tilda is grinning as she draws back, giggling slightly as she slyly sneaks a glance at my tall Elven brothers. I hold her at an arm's length for a serious moment before smiling slightly. "I will see you at the midsummer moon, Pîn Hëulo."

"Travel well, friend," she responds in Elvish. Surprised pleasure warms my chest. I pat her shoulder fondly as I turn us both to the waiting party.

"You learn fast, winimo. Very good, though you might become Elrond's favorite over me."

"I'm not sure that's possible," Elladan inputs, shaking his head. "Ada is completely set in his affections of you, nethel."

"Perhaps there is room in his heart for another such pupil?" I ask, lifting an eyebrow in his direction far below. I know he can hear us, but he pretends not to as he fixes his gaze on the rising sun over the peaks of the valley's rising hills. I exchange a quick laugh with Tilda, for she has already picked up on his elusiveness as much as I have.

I step to my brothers next, Elladan standing tall besides Elrohir. The latter falls back and allows me to approach his twin. I appreciate his gesture, for with all my love for either Elf, my fondness for Elladan has only grown over these last years. He has been a cornerstone in the very foundations of my being.

"Do not grow soft during your time with the Shire-folk," he murmurs in Elvish as he presses his brow to mine and his forearm lifting to cross across his chest. I mirror the expression as I answer.

"My future is with hard Dwarves, brother. I think I can afford a few months of feasting and relaxing in peace, don't you?"

"I still expect you to spar with me all the same when you return."

"Prepare to lose, then."

"I would like to see that," Elrohir shakes his head. I step to him, basking in the warmth in his deep, soulful eyes. Ever the dreamer where his twin was the fighter. He could probably read every expression that flickers across my face in a way I wouldn't be able to unravel my very own thoughts. We do not embrace, but his arm lifts to press against his chest. He dips his head once. "Travel well, sister."

"Thank you. Will you be here when I return?"

"These lands still need cleansing. My time is better spent in the far hills."

"With Orc blood on your blade, or studying the stars?"

"I can do both, you know."

"Very well. Safe travels to you, too, then." I hoist my pack, the last of my things that will join the pack pony that awaits me in the courtyard below. The rest of my party waits there, along with Elrond. I turn for the staircase, away from my family. Away from Imladris.

I don't turn back. Even though I am returning, I understand that every time I leave, this place will become less and less like home. My childhood disappearing like fog at the first rays of morning sunshine.