1. Rituals

"Five more, just give me five more sit ups god dammit," Bellona begged her body as she entered her fifth hour of training for that morning. The harsh sun of the spring court bearing down on her, as she continuously pushed herself to the limit, just as she did every morning after her nightmares.

The same nightmare, week after week, year after year for the past six years. Her Bakarus. Her twin, her partner in crime, whether it be stealing cakes from the kitchens below Rosehall or  flirting with our governess to get out of our studies. His whole life he protected her, and he continued that record until he died.

Dead. Lifeless in the ground because of Bellona and her stupid desire to escape the pressures of her life. Never again will she see his eyes twinkle as he bet her in a sword fight. Never again will she feel his hug of comfort after a harsh argument with their mother. Now she must live with the knowledge that he is dead because of her.

She was pulled out of her thoughts by her parents entering the training ring. Tamlin, High Lord of the Spring Court, brought back from the brink of eternal beastitude by their mother, Asterin his High Lady. Internally, she groaned as she pushed herself off the ground and started to head towards the water table. Trying to cool herself down before she faced the serious conversation that she knew was coming.

Coming to a halt next to the table, her father spoke, "there's a high lord meeting next week, your
mother is too busy to attend so I expect you to accompany this one Bella, please". Unwrapping the straps on her hands she replied, "I can't father, I'll miss out on too much training".It was partially true, she would also have to socialise with people that she hasn't seen since the death of her brother. She wasn't ready for the continuous amounts of condolences that she would get from people that were once her friends.

"You can't spend your life holed up in Rosehall, trust me I know," Tamlin gently spoke as he placed a hand on her shoulder. "He would've wanted you to live your life Bel, you can't blame yourself forever". With her emotions threatening to bubble over, "I can try, besides Belarus can go instead," Bellona retorted as she rose her blue-green eyes to meet her fathers. "Belarus is coming with me to inspect the Northern border", responded Asterin curtly. Breaking the state between her and her father, Bellona snorted, "of course he is". Earning a disapproving glare from the other woman.

Belarus. Her elder brother, well basically her only brother now. He was the exact replica of his father and their mother's golden child. It's to be expected, she supposed, with his physical attributes and his cunningness, he will rise and become a great High Lord. The obvious choice over his sister who is a shell of her old self.

Groaning outwardly this time she cursed the mother as she gave in and agreed to her fathers offer. The married pair turned and walked away leaving their daughter to try and prepare herself for a day that she would never be mentally ready for.

Vote and comment your thoughts!