Stepping Stones

It was one of those rare moments on tour when he had time to himself. There was no rehearsals, no planes to catch or moving to and from hotels. The first day, since Zayn left, that wasn't chaotic.

Harry sat in his hotel room, TV playing in the distance with phone in hand. He replied to text messages he had received during the night then went over to twitter. Scrolling through the twitter feed he read various messages to him and tweets from people he followed until he came across a retweeted picture. Harry opened it to reveal a picture of Taylor, hands intertwined with Calvin Harris's in L.A. He examined the smile across her face, a genuine and happy one. One he hadn't seen in a long time. Quickly closing the app, he typed "Taylor Swift and Calvin Harris" into Google with various gossip sites appearing, all having the same photos. He noticed how the DJ made her happy, which in turn, made him happy.

Taylor had wished him the best during his so-called "relationships" with various people, so he could only do the same. Three years had passed since they were together. Three years of longing and trying to fill the Taylor shaped void in his heart. During his relationships Harry never thought of what the future might hold but with Taylor it was different. He's had various dreams of the two, living in a large house in Nashville with a white picket fence, writing music together and raising kids. He remembered when they started while they dating and continued during the relationships after her. Harry had tried constantly to picture another woman in Taylors place, but knew it was impossible.

Staring at the photo, he flashed back to various conversations they had during and after their relationship. Their conversations about the future and the past would lead to overwhelming feelings, a kiss or two and then acting like the last part never happened. He knew deep down that Taylor was his future. They were destined to be together and when the time came, it would happen. The relationships in-between were the stepping-stones on the path that would eventually lead them back to one another.

Harry knew that Taylor felt the same way. Both being songwriters, lyrics said more than a person could ever say. From the hidden messages in between to not being able to say what they felt face-to-face. The lyric "You know for me, it's always you," played repeatedly in his mind.

One day, maybe someday soon or a day two years from now, they would be the ones photographed, holding hands and taking on the world together.