Chapter 5: Nobody Likes a Liar

Zayn's POV:

To be honest, Evelyn caught me by surprise. She seems so sweet, almost like Dani, who I guess I was wrong about, because at this point, even I have to accept that she genuinely doesn't want to hurt us. I thought Dani was the enemy, and she isn't, but I also considered Evelyn the enemy. Does that mean she's innocent? But she's acted against me and Dani. But looking at the girl before me, I can't bring myself to be cruel.

Then I look over at Dani. Her face is set in a firm glare. Evelyn hurt her too many times. Dani is my ally now, and she never truly did anything to harm me. Evelyn, on the other hand, has physically attacked Dani and made sexual advances that I did not want. But was that the girl in front of me?

"Well," I slowly say, "if you really are so sorry, then why did you do it in the first place?"

Evelyn looks at the floor, twisting her hands together. "Well, I'm a Directioner. I can, you know, be a bit crazy, and I suppose I just was overeager that I had access to my favorite band members. As for taking you, I don't really know what that was. I wanted to meet you, but thought you wouldn't like me, so maybe if I was your only company you'd like me better? Something along those lines. But of course Daniella got in the way. I suppose it's not her fault exactly, but everyone chooses her instead. She's younger, prettier, more talented..." She speaks entirely in a trembling whisper.

Dani looks at me sadly for a brief second, but behind the misery in her eyes is a challenge: Will you choose right? they seem to say. Dani or Evelyn? Then she moves closer to Niall, as if scared that he would disappear or leave, but he immediately wraps his arm around her, so their bodies are pressed together. That doesn't seem like the behavior of somebody who always gets the guy. It seems like she finally found somebody who cares, and doesn't want to lose him. Which, of course, is her story. But which of the two stories is true?

Another thought occurs to me: if Dani was so focused on "stealing" me from Evelyn, why would she develop such a close relationship with Niall? Besides, Evelyn's story carries no remorse or any emotion at all. Just a scared, quiet voice, like she was trying to play Dani in a movie but couldn't quite feel the character's emotions.

"Look," I respond. "I couldn't tell you for sure who is lying, but one of you two is. I only can decide based off of previous actions, as both of you have apologized for any possible crimes. But so far, the evidence points to Dani being the honest one. She's the one who hasn't actually harmed me. So, sorry if I made the wrong decision, but this is all I can think of to help me decide."

Dani breathes a sigh of relief and sends me a strained smile, but Evelyn's face twists into a familiar sneer. "I tried, Zayn. I tried to warn you against her, but just you wait. Daniella is not the kind of girl you'd want to trust. I hope you're happy together! On second thought, I hope she treats you like she treated the others! That way you'll really suffer." She spins on her heel and turns away, but I feel no regret when I watch her leave. Despite her attempts to seem sweet, she just seemed so...calculating, like she had to think carefully about what to say.

"Others?" I mutter. "Where'd she get that from?"

Dani rolls her eyes and shrugs, and I realize that even that small, careless action seems so much more genuine than my entire conversation with Evelyn. "Probably her typical manipulation skills. It's not like any guys have shown interest in me before. The only boys I even know are you guys, my dad, and Luke, who owns my favorite bookstore. She may have been basing it on her tendency to play every boy who shows interest in her, but with Evelyn, you can't be sure." She says this in a sincere, matter-of-fact tone, like she's not purposely spreading rumors, but just saying what she thinks is true.