Chapter 9

(During Events of One Minute to Midnight)

Esther ran into Shakespeare and Co carrying bags filled with medical supplies. She had been gone for two weeks and come back to find the Watchers and Immortals on the brink of war. Well in reality she had returned after David had informed her of the situation.

She ran down the steps to find Methos doing his best to keep his patient in his bed. She had returned the day after Joe was shot and had helped Methos in the critical period. Now Joe was just well enough to want to get up, but he was nowhere close to ready.

"Hey I got some more gauze and stuff.. Macleod went to find food."

A buzz ran through both immortals and Duncan came down the steps

"Speak of the devil."

Esther smiled and moved to glove up, so she could help change out the bandages. Duncan laid the food down and looked at Joe

"How are you feeling?"

Joe smiled "Oh wonderful.. Ow!" He yelped as Methos moved him a little rougher then he should have

"Where did you say you studied medicine?"

Methos continued with his job as he answered "Heidelberg. 1453"

Joe squinted at the immortal "Did you major in medicine or dueling?"

"Both"

Joe nodded and looked towards the far gentler female immortal "And you? Where did you study?"

She looked up from her job and grinned "Which time?"

"I dont know the most recent one."

"Harvard Medical School... 1976... Graduated top of my class."

Joes eyes widened impressed "Wait then why is he in charge?"

Esther made eye contact with Methos for a moment before she answered "I dont know if youve ever noticed this scar on my face."

Joe frowned, of course he had noticed but he hadnt drawn attention to the flaw. The scar crossed from the corners of each eye across the bridge of her nose. It was a wonder she wasnt blind.

"Before I was turned I was attacked, they cut across my eyes. The physicians at the time said I would never seen again, all but one.

Joe looked towards the ancient immortal who had stopped his work to watch the female. A haunted look was on his face as though he was remembering the incident.

"He is a wonderful Doctor, Joe.. You're in good hands."

Joe looked from one to the other and nodded.. That was the first time that Joe Dawson realized how close the two immortals were.

_________________________________________________

Duncan was trying to figure out who had committed the massacre. And Esther watched as the man paced the room, suddenly her phone started ringing.