5. Hell on Earth

Mazikeen is back on Earth four days later.

She appears on the penthouse balcony, practically running inside. Diablos is with her, and as Maze grins widely and proudly shows Lucifer her new wings, the devil takes Drakrayel and disappears.

"Diablos said they're unique to all of us," Maze rambles uncharacteristically as she lets Lucifer inspect the new limbs. "In colour, at least. The shape is best fitted for how we fight. You know how birds have different wing shapes? Like that. Mine are elliptical, like a crow's."

Lucifer doesn't interrupt her, he merely smiles widely as he gently brushes his fingers over the edge of one white and red wing. The feathers flutter at the touch and his smile widens.

"What do you think?" Maze asks suddenly, her voice now hesitant and self-conscious. "They're no celestial wings, but—"

"They're beautiful, Mazikeen," Lucifer cuts her off gently, rounding one wing to stand in front of the demon and cup her cheek. "They suit you, and functionality is most important. Even if it wasn't, I wouldn't be jealous or think you're inferior, if that's what you're searching for."

Maze opens her mouth but nothing comes out. Instead, she gives a small smile and a quiet exhale before wrapping her arms around the angel. Startled, Lucifer takes a second to hug back but he does, careful of Maze's wings as he wraps his arms around her with a smile.

"Thanks, Lucifer," she mumbles into his shoulder.

"Of course, Mazikeen," he replies. He pulls back enough to look at her and asks, "They don't hurt at all?"

Maze shakes her head. "Not any more. At first it did, when I moved them, but now the magic's adjusted to my body and it's like they were always there. I'm... still kinda getting used to them though. Flying's weird."

Lucifer chuckles softly and nods. "Indeed. Takes a while to get used to."

Maze puts her wings away and walks towards the bar. Lucifer follows after her as she pours them both a glass.

"And how's Hell?" Lucifer asks conversationally. "Still running like a well-oiled machine?"

"Of course," Maze replies with a roll of her eyes, taking a long sip of her drink. "As if Dia would let it be any less while he's around. He's found a few more cambions, yelled at some more of my idiot siblings who slack in wing care, and went around to visit most of the cambions stationed around the world. Everything's going great."

"Good."

Maze nods and hums. "And how was life with Drak following you?"

"Quite entertaining, actually," Lucifer replies. "He loves annoying Daniel, and Daniel almost certainly hates him, but that's no matter. The Detective doesn't seem fond of him, but he doesn't like her either. I don't see why, she's interesting."

"To you," Maze says with a roll of her eyes.

Lucifer hums, unconvinced. How can anyone not find Chloe Decker interesting? She makes him vulnerable, which he always thought was impossible. She's smart, witty, and beautiful on top of that, and good at her job. She's fascinating, and Lucifer is going to figure her out.

Meanwhile, on an isolated hill overlooking the city of Los Angeles, Drakrayel sits on a park bench with his legs crossed, looking up at Diablos in front of him. The seven Sins stand around them, all silently watching the lilim.

"Well?" the devil asks sternly, arms crossed.

The demon winces slightly. "I won't miss caring for my wings again, Diablos. I promise. I learnt my lesson the hard way. It fucking hurts."