Main Maid

The day started as usual, me cleaning and mopping every possible surface you can walk on in the the extravagant palace Boris Lester deems his home, his son, Alexander is going to own it now since he's marrying someone now. I'm not sure who or what her name is but he's put a halt to everyone's tasks and has assembled us in the front of the house.

He looks over us glaring each of us down. "Y/n." He speaks and I lift my head up to look at him. "Yes, sir?" I query and he points in front of him. I quickly rush to his foot. "You'll be taking care of Mrs. Lester. You're ought to refer to her as ma'am, understood?." He states firmly and I bow my head. "Yes, sir" I say "she'll be here, tonight. Make my bed for two and you'll be dressing her." He says. "Alright, sir." I say and he waves me off to go back to my place. I do so easily and then he nods to Anna. "Anna you'll be taking over Y/n's tasks from now on." Mr. Lester says and Anna glares at me. I shrug. It's not my fault he picked me to be Mrs. Lester's main maid, it's also not my fault that he picked her, out of everyone to take on my duties.

The day passed quickly since I was excited to be the main maid of Mr. Lester's wife. It was the afternoon, before their planned dinner.

I walk to the front door as she steps into the house. The first thing I notice is her hair, it's dark but also light at the same time. A deep brown with a golden tint making it seem as it's possibly ginger, it compliments her dark eyes that have a greenish hue in them. I walk up in front of her and bend my body slightly in a bow. "Y/n, at your service, ma'am" I say introducing myself. She bows her head and I put my hand out towards the direction of her dressing room, where I'm expected to help her change.

Once in the room, I help her change into the dress she'll be wearing most days, a simple royal blue dress with a little bit of embroidery, here and there.

The dinner beginns and after about an hour or so she stands at the door. Mr. Lester's father steps out and glares at her. "You are to wait for your husband, madame." he hisses at her. "I'll try, sir." She replies not looking at him. He turns to me. "Y/n escort Mrs. Lester to her room, make sure that she doesn't fall asleep." He says an I bow my head following her to her dressing room.

She starts to walk and I hurry to follow quickly. Once in the room I offer her a smile. I help her get out of her dress and out of the corset before helping her into her night dress. I tug at one side of her collar lightly, signaling her to turn around. She does and I begin to button it up for her. "Cold?" I ask and she shakes her head "No." she states, her voice coming out deep and raspy. "Nervous?" I ask to hear her voice again. "No." she repeats with a small smile. "I'm Kathrine" she says and I bow my head.

I point to the bedroom and walk her in. I set her in a chair and gently brush her hair. Once I'm finished she sits in bed and I watch her as I was asked to do. When she falls asleep I let her sleep for a few minutes before waking her. "I'm sorry, ma'am but I'm not sure when your husband is going to return so I don't want to let you sleep for too long." I say sadly and she offers me a smile and a nod in understanding.

She falls asleep again and her husband isn't coming yet, when I see light I stand up and quickly tap her shoulder. She raises her head and gives me a small smile. I bow my head and she's awake just in time as the door swings open. "You may leave." He tells me and I offer a small bow before leaving without saying another word.

The next day seems to take a while to arrive as my night is spent, sleepless in bed.

Once morning rises I head into the Lester bedroom and open the blinds, Mrs. Lester grumbles stretching out. She doesn't seem rested or happy at that. I'm unsure about what happened but it's none of my business.

I leave the room and begin preparing breakfast. When I'm done setting the table "Y/n?" Mrs. Lester calls. I walk into the room. "Yes, ma'am?" I ask and she sighs. "I'm ready to get ready for the day" she says and I nod. "Is something the matter, ma'am?" I ask as we walk into her dressing room. "Nothing of your concern." She offers with a smile and I bow my head, not wanting to overstep.

I lead her to the breakfast table, after helping her with her corset and dress, she's falling asleep though.

"Ma'am, are you alright?" I ask and she nods. "Yes. Just, restless night is all." She says and I nod finally letting her be.

I lead her to the breakfast table where Mr. Lester's father is waiting. I clean the room a bit and hear them talk. "Where's my husband gone?" She asks, he's already annoyed about whatever has happened. "Away, nothing to concern yourself about" He grumbles shoveling food into bis mouth. I peer over my shoulder. Mrs. Lester seems to look down at her plate and then back up at her father-in-law. "But I do concern myself." She states calmly. "There's been an explosion at one of his properties and he'll be gone for a couple of weeks, as will I, since I'll be joining him. Maybe some time in solitude will bring back your energy." He says bitterly, as if it were wrong for a lady like her to be tired.

He comes to a stance, puts on his coat and leaves.