Chapter 4 The Randomness of Tradgedy

Dean had seen some disgusting things in his time as a hunter, but a few weeks in and this job was testing his ability to look gore in the face. It was his first shift since he’d gotten the message from T.K about the brawl he had started. It wasn’t much of a surprise when the younger man came in with a burst lip, but Dean didn't mention it.

Their first call of the day was to help a girl who had fallen from a balcony and landed on a car, and Dean baulked when he saw her leg. It was broken so badly that it barely looked attached, and for a guy who had seen bodies with missing organs and who had cut off his own vampire boyfriends head, it should have been run of the mill. But it genuinely made him feel sick.

“You okay, Kansas?” T.K teased.

Judd shot Dean a surprised look, “Seen worse on ranches, surely?”

Dean knew he had, but still, the gore was normally on a dead person, not someone who needed saving.

“Witnesses say she fell from the seventh-floor balcony,” Someone was saying.

“Can we just wait for the ME?” One of the paramedics asked.

Then, the girl woke up, and Dean grimaced as they jumped into action.

“Let’s get her off the roof!” Owen said.

“I got a pulse, but it’s weak,” Marjan called.

“Can you hear me?” Marjan was asking, “Can you hear me? We’re gonna move you, but first we need to stabilise your spine, okay?”

“Both her legs are shattered!”

“Leg splints!”

“My life is over,” The girl wheezed, “Where’s…my….”

“Did she just say Michael? Where’s Michael?”

They looked up, “What apartment did she jump out of ?” Owen asked.

“That one there, seventh floor.”

“Do you think someone pushed her?” Dean asked the captain.

“Let’s find out,” Owen said, giving Dean a nod.

He and Carlos, the cop that T.K was ‘sort of’ seeing (in his own words), followed the captain up. For the first time, Dean desperately wished he was allowed a gun on the job. He felt safer knowing he could shoot something that jumped out at him.