Chapter 15 Nice Day for a Red Wedding

Dean was watching a movie with Cas – standard Friday night practice really, when his phone buzzed. People didn’t usually text him, which was what caught his attention. Sam called or face-timed. Claire called or insulted him via the comments section on Instagram. Jody called once a week, right on time on Sunday night, just to make sure he and Cas were doing okay. Dean pretended to hate it, but he didn’t. It felt like having a Mom again, and secretly, he liked that.

It was this curiosity about who could be texting him at this time on a Friday night that made him pause the movie and reach for his phone.

Cas used the break to frown and ask, “The use of incest in this movie is moderately disturbing, Dean.”

Dean snorted, “It ain’t incest, Cas. Marty’s mom had a crush on him, but she didn’t know it was her future kid.”

Cas made a face but didn’t comment on the movie any further. Instead, he got to his feet, complaining that he didn’t have any popcorn left because Dean had stolen it.

Dean chuckled as Cas trudged into the kitchen. Then he glanced down at his phone and saw who the text was from – he’d put his name into Dean’s phone as ‘Buck’ because that was what he liked to be known as now, and his grammar was as bad as Dean’s when he was texting.

Hey I know this probably isn’t what you had in mind when you said we should stay in contact, but my life just got turned upside down and I don’t know who else to talk to…

Dean replied straight away with;

What happened??

Buck must have been watching his phone because his reply was instant too.

Just some shit with my parents, same as usual tbh. Long story short they lied to me my whole life and I just found out I had a brother.

Dean frowned, not sure what to text back, but then another text from Buck came in.

He died. Should have mentioned that sorry. He had cancer so my parents had me for a bone marrow transplant which didn’t work.

Dean texted back;

So your life is like that cryfest movie with Abigail Breslin?

It was probably a little insensitive, but Dean doubted Buck would take it that way.

The reply that followed was:

😂 Fuck, yeah. That’s my life!!!! and that movie was a total cryfest, you’re right. That makes me feel kinda better for putting a hole in my apartment wall.