chapter 16 Difficult Conversations

“Engaged?”

“Yeah.”

“You mean like, to be married?”

Dean snorted, “I know you’re sleep-deprived Sammy, but that’s kinda what it means, yeah.”

Sam stared at Dean in disbelief through the video feed, “You’re marrying Cas?”

“Yeah,” Dean said, starting to get a bit defensive, “Why the freakin’ Spanish inquisition, Sam?”

Guilt flitted across Sam’s face for a moment, “Sorry, it’s not because I don’t like Cas or anything. He’s family, and he always has been. It’s just that I…I never thought I’d see the day you got married, to anyone but especially not to Cas.”

Dean smiled ruefully, “Yeah, well, I didn’t either. I never thought I was the marrying type, didn’t see the point in it, you know? I figured it would end in divorce or heartbreak one way or another, but it’s different with Cas. I just feel….”

“Safe?” Sam guessed.

“I was gonna say secure, but yeah,” Dean nodded and looked back at his phone, “Anyway, how’s Eileen?”

“She’s fine,” Sam replied, “We’re going home tomorrow, but you’re not changing the subject that quick, Dean. When’s the wedding?”

“I don’t know,” Dean scoffed, “It only happened a couple of days ago. Whenever it is, it ain’t gonna be anything big. I’m not big on PDA, you know that. It’ll just be family and the 126.”

“Yeah, of course,” Sam said with a nod, “I understand that. Have you told anyone else yet?”

“Nah,” Dean replied, “I’ll tell the team on our next shift. I need to tell Claire, and Jack will know obviously, him being all-knowing.”

“Still wish he’d just drop in to say hi sometimes,” Sam said with a sad smile.

“Yeah, me too,” Dean said, but there was something more sinister in his tone.

A cry sounded, and Sam started, “I gotta-”

“Yeah, talk later, Sam,” Dean agreed, ending the call there. He put his phone down and sighed, the subject of Jack still being something of a touchy one for Dean. He wasn’t sure how long he sat there and stewed for before Cas walked into the room.

“Dean?” He said, a shoulder gripping Dean’s shoulder.