Entwined (P.1)

~ this is my retelling of the short story "Entwined" by Brian Tobin with changes to the plot, characters, and ending ~

✼  ҉  ✼  ҉  ✼  ҉  ✼  ҉  ✼  ҉  ✼  ҉  ✼  ҉  ✼  ҉  ✼

~ Trigger Warning: an accident, minor cuts, death ~

✼  ҉  ✼  ҉  ✼  ҉  ✼  ҉  ✼  ҉  ✼  ҉  ✼  ҉  ✼  ҉  ✼

en·twine

/ənˈtwīn/

to wind or twist together; interweave

✼  ҉  ✼  ҉  ✼  ҉  ✼  ҉  ✼  ҉  ✼  ҉  ✼  ҉  ✼  ҉  ✼

Kai's POV

On a sunny day in September, a few weeks into my first year of college, I killed a man.

I was going for a drive, fully sober, despite the rumors people formed. Driving at the right speed. Driving with both hands on the wheel. Driving perfectly fine until...

My sister, Nya, called. She ranted about how I accidentally destroyed her invention and was supposed to buy her new parts. She had just hung up when I passed by a construction site. The phone call was the only time I took my hands off the wheel that drive.

Now, about my eyes... that's a different story. For the most part, I was focused on the road. I had just vaguely taken in the "Road Work Ahead" sign when I noticed her.

A natural glow of red, wavy hair in a ponytail that bounced with each step she took. An orange hoodie, despite the warm weather, with white shorts and sneakers.

She was walking with two males, the three of them having to walk on the road due to the construction on the sidewalk. Later, when I had revisited the crime scene, I noticed bright, bold signs that clearly informed pedestrians to NOT walk in the road and take a detour instead. Did those signs not stress the danger enough?

To be entirely honest, I didn't notice the signs at the time of the crime either. I remember faintly hearing one of those small Doomsday Comix competitions happening nearby.

My hot new red sports car--which totally was not actually a used 1979 Impala passed down by my father--was going at about forty miles per hour (I may of later lied to the police, saying I was driving at the posted speed of 35 mph, but it didn't really make a difference). Many, including myself, have done the calculations. At that speed, the car would be traveling 59 feet per second.

From my view, the three figures seemed to be approaching (in reality, I was the one approaching them). Then, Chen, a man with faded hair and clothes of red and purple, stumbled into the path of my blood-red vehicle.

The accident only took milliseconds. A sickening stop. Chen was thrown up the hood, his limbs shattering the windshield, before he disappeared over the car's roof.

I didn't even get the chance to slam the brakes until he was far behind me on the highway.

The smell of burnt tires on asphalt. The faint music from the radio. The cries of agony and grief of "Oh my FSM! Oh my!" from his scarlet-headed daughter, Skylor.

Everything seemed to pass in this thick blur of unreality. I stumbled out of the car. I faintly heard someone yell at me to put the car, which was slowly rolling, in gear. I got back in. I put the car in gear. I turned off the engine. Took note of the glass in the passenger's seat. Noticed the shattered windshield. Swept off the little pieces of glass off my shirt, leaving small burning cuts along my hand.

The body lay fifty yards away. I had traveled half a football field following the collision. A pedestrian with shaggy coal-black curls and a dark outfit (which I thought unfit with the weather), waved a bright red towel to stop the oncoming traffic.

At the moment, I had thought "he'll have some broken bones and major injuries, he'll have to be transported to a hospital." However, when I got a clear view of the body, I saw that he didn't just have broken bones. He had a broken body.

A shoulder and an arm were twisted at an impossible angle. His head, which also seemed... broken, was swimming in a pool of blood. The redhead pleaded for him to "hold on," but it was clear to me that he couldn't see or hear her... that he would never again...

✼  ҉  ✼  ҉  ✼  ҉  ✼  ҉  ✼  ҉  ✼  ҉  ✼  ҉  ✼  ҉  ✼

A/N: Okay, um, this is a very long story, so uh, I think I should just make it a separate book- hehe :> hope y'all like it so far (sorry, it's slow in the beginning) hehe.

✼  ҉  ✼  ҉  ✼  ҉  ✼  ҉  ✼  ҉  ✼  ҉  ✼  ҉  ✼  ҉  ✼

A/N: The story Entwined: https://www.wattpad.com/story/298625915-entwined