late night help

joel x y/n
most if not all fluff

I had just finished a late night post, a winter storm had blown through. it was me and Tommy, Joel was out with Ellie for her 16th birthday. i really wanted to go, but no one else could cover for him. i trudged my way into me and Joel's shared house. the second the warmth and homey feel hit me, a wave of utter exhaustion hit. i ran my hands through my semi wet hair. i bent down to take off my boots, untieing them from the tight knots i had put them in the night before. after that, i removed my jacket and my extra layer of pants. we had gotten ambushed by infected, running into a bloater on our way through. i had dried, and wet blood all over me and my clothing. i slowly made my way up the stairs, and into me and Joel's shared bedroom. to my surprise, i saw my husband of three years reading a book over the covers of our bed. he said a soft "hey" and didn't look up from his book. i lightly groaned in response, in too much pain to let out a full response. that made him look up. his eyes widen, as he immediately laid his book beside him and sat up.
"oh my god, are you okay baby?" he asked as he made his way over to me. his eyes filled with worry as he gently laid his hands on my shoulders. i winced in response, which caused him to remove his hands.
"come on, sit down," he said as he patted the end of the bed. i complied, him very lightly putting his hands over my waist incase i were to fall. i sat down, and he kneeled down to face me.
"i'm gonna go to the bathroom to grab a rag to wipe you off. i'll be right back okay?"
i nodded in response, muttering out an "okay"
as sweetly as i possibly could. he stood up snd disappeared into the bathroom. i wiped a tear off my face that i didn't know i had. my face was so blood coated that a couple patches of blood were on my hands as a result. Joel returned, two wet rags in his hands. he kneeled down once more.
"let me help you take that shirt off," he said as he pulled the end of my shit over my head, to expose my bare chest out from underneath. his eyes widened slightly, in shock of all the cuts and blood. he lifted up a warm rag, placing it to my skin and wiping very gently and slowly. i winced at the feeling, he lightly cooed in comfort.
"w-we were surrounded- me and tommy. bloaters, and stalkers, and runners. anything you could ever think of. i ran out of ammo and ended up having to beat a child runner, to death with my own hands." i told the man in-front of me. he looked up at me.
"it's okay, look. you do what you have to do to survive, the both of ya. the kid would've turned into something worse, something more painful. you're okay now, i'm here to protect you." he responded, he didn't stop cleaning me as he spoke.
"thank you Joel, really."
"you don't have to thank me hun, you've cleaned me up a few times too ya know."
i chuckled, wincing. he let out about 5 "sorry"'s in a row. once he finished cleaning my back and front, he grabbed the other rag and put it to my face.
"this any sting a bit.."
"fucking hell" i responded in a pain. he sighed, i knew that he hated seeing me like this.
"i got it from here, if you don't wanna do it." i said, not knowing what his sigh meant.
"no no no, i just hate seeing you in pain. that's all," he chuckled as he continued the work on my face. once he finished, he removed his own button up shirt. it revealed his lightly toned chest. he placed the shirt around me, as he buttoned it up for me. my pants were removed, to reveal a few light cuts and bruises. he cleaned those up, my underwear still on. he wrapped a hand around my shoulder, helping me up and into bed. once i was in bed, he laid down behind me, his warm chest pressed to my back. i sighed in content.
"i love you so much y/n"
"i love you too Joel, goodnight"