23 - Some Summer Letters

Adriana

An incessant tapping noise woke me from a very peaceful nap I was having. Was having.

I sat up in my bed and stayed there for a moment, the tapping never stopping, until I got up and went over to my window, where said noise was coming from. I opened it up to reveal my owl, Flora, who quickly flew into my room and perched herself on my desk.

"Oopsies," I said, walking to my desk and petting Flora. "Sorry about that. Didn't mean to fall asleep and forget about you." She chirped and held out her foot, where a letter was tied on. I proceeded to untie it, picking up a few treats and feeding them to her. I took the letter over to my bed and sat back down, looking to see that it was from George.

It was a couple of weeks into the summer holidays now, and George and I had been owling everyday since we arrived back at home. He first sent me letters using his family's bird, Errol, but, holy hell, that bird is a menace. He bumps into every object possible when he flies, and he makes the short trip from my house to George's much longer than it needs to, so I ended up telling George to just send Flora back with his next letter whenever I send one to him.

So, that's what we've been doing, sending letters back and forth with Flora. I've given her breaks, of course, but she's always ready to deliver my next letter to the Burrow. I think she likes it there. I think I like it there as well.

Shaking my head to clear my thoughts, I opened up the letter and started reading what George had to say today.

MY DAD GOT TICKETS TO THE QUIDDITCH WORLD CUP!!

I can't fucking believe it. I'm going to the Quidditch World Cup with my family. Minus my mum. Plus Harry Potter and Hermione Granger. I assume you've heard of them throughout the years, yeah? Well, Ron's invited them to come with, since my dad had a few extra tickets and said we could invite a few friends to join. Which reminds me of what I wanted to ask you when I sat down to write this letter.

First of all, are you already going to the World Cup? If you answer yes, then ignore what I'm about to ask next. If no, then do not ignore this next question.

Second of all, would you like to go to the Quidditch World Cup with me? And my family, of course, but, y'know, I'm the one asking you, so it would really be me you're going with.

Anyways, that's all I wanted to ask. Please reply quickly with your answers. To both questions if you aren't already planning on going, and to the first one if you are. Hope to see you soon, Ada.

-George

"Ada," I whispered aloud once I finished reading, a smile making its way onto my face.

Earlier on in our letters, and I mean way earlier, days after we first started owling, George had asked if I had a nickname. I used to not have one, my parents only calling me by "Adriana," until I told George so. He decided that it was absolutely necessary that he give me a nickname, something for him, and maybe others, to refer to me as, just like his siblings sometimes call him "Georgie."

And so the nickname "Ada" came to life. George told me he had spent lots of time saying different nicknames both out loud and in his head, figuring out which sounded the best in his mind and on his tongue, and, apparently, "Ada" won.

I cleared my throat and willed the pinkish color I knew had graced my cheeks away, getting up to go sit at my desk and write back to George.

I sat down and patted Flora once, pulling out some parchment and a pen from my desk drawer, and began to write.

Tell your dad good job on getting tickets to the Quidditch World Cup from me. It really is quite awesome that he was able to get enough for you, your family, and a few friends.

To start off answering your two questions, no, I am not already going to the Quidditch World Cup, nor have I already been invited by someone else. Cedric told me that he and his father are going to the World Cup, but they only have two tickets for themselves and no one else. And, Katherine and Naomi, as much as they want to go, are both away on holidays for the whole summer, so no Quidditch World Cups for either of them.

I accepted the fact that I would just hear about what it was like from Cedric, but I guess I will be going after all, because, to answer your second question, yes, I would really like to go to the Quidditch World Cup with you. And your family, of course, but mainly you.

With that being said, we will be seeing each other again soon, as we've both got plenty of free time to walk around and explore Ottery St. Catchpole together, and, I will hopefully be going with you to the Quidditch World Cup. See you soon, Georgie.

-Adriana