Chapter 29: Remus

Remus
February 12, 1994

The weekend nearest to Valentine's Day was a Hogsmeade weekend, so Sirius had arranged a date for him and Remus at Madame Pudifoot's that weekend.

Coincidentally, Harry had asked Cho out for a Valentines date, and she had also insisted on Madame Pudifoot's.

Remus walked Harry out to Madame Pudifoot's. Ron had joined them, as apparently he too had a date there. Remus went inside, allowing the boys to wait for their dates in private.

Sirius was waiting for him at a table near the back of the tearoom, so Remus made his way way back to said table.

"There's my handsome husband!" Sirius greeted Remus as soon as he approached, and kissed him as soon as he was close enough to do so.

Remus sat down on Sirius's right. Sirius took Remus's left hand under the table in his right. They had sat this way ever since they were a young couple, because Remus is right handed and Sirius is left handed. This way they each had their dominant hands free to function without letting go, or attracting suspicion during a time when more people were openly homophobic. Since then, they continued to do it because it was quite practical.

"What's you're latest book?" Sirius asked.

"I've been rereading an old favorite. Alice's Adventures in Wonderland." Remus replied.

"Oh, I know that one! Thats the one where the girl falls down a rabbit hole and all the crazy stuff happens with the Mad Hatter and Queen of Hearts and stuff. You showed me and the kids a... movie! A movie about it when the kids were little!" Sirius answered excitedly.

They heard a bell which ring when someone opened the door. Harry walked in with Cho, and Ron followed with a girl named Marietta, another Ravenclaw fourth year.

"Yeah, it's a Disney movie," Remus confirmed.

Sirius beamed.

"How's the hunt going?" Remus asked.

"Not great. Do you realize how hard it is to find a rat?" Sirius exclaimed.

Remus laughed lightly to himself.

"I'm making progress though. I know he'll be heading toward Hogwarts or our home, so I've been staying here in Hogsmeade. The house has protective enchantments, so it would be incredibly difficult for him to break in, and I'll know about it before he does. And if he tries to come here, well, I'll be ready." Sirius explained.

The waiter came up to take their orders. They ordered a pot of Earl Grey Tea, and assorted finger sandwiches and teacakes.

"Hey, if your here in Hogsmeade, you should come up to the castle. I miss you." Remus said sincerely.

"I miss you too. Everything had been a mess since you went to Hogwarts and I went hunting for Peter. Right now it's a waiting game, so I need to be with you. This time apart made me remember how empty things felt before we were together. Things are clearer with you, more real. I love you so much." Sirius confessed.

"Things don't feel right or complete without you either. Teaching keeps me busy, and happy, but the picture isn't whole without you here. I need you, Sirius." Remus confessed.

Sirius laid his head on Remus's shoulder, and Remus ran his fingers through Sirius's hair. And then, he kissed Sirius on the forehead.

Their food came, and they began to graze as they continued talking.

Time seemed to stand still and speed forward all at the same time as the couple were back in each others' familiar embrace. The conversation flowed naturally as the two had their first quality time together since Christmas.

And then, a crazy thing happened across the tearoom.

Harry leaned in a kissed Cho right on the lips. It was very quick, and very awkward. And the second they broke apart, Harry made a beeline for the loo.

"Were we ever that awkward when we kissed, we're we?" Sirius asked, as he began to stand up.

"We weren't. But you were when you kissed Marlene." Remus replied snidely, as he rose.

"Well we had no chemistry, we were both gay as fuck!" Sirius defended as they made their way to the loo.

When they entered, they found Harry trying to stifle his tears.

"Harry, are you alright?" Remus asked.

Harry began to laugh slightly.

"I don't know. I kissed Cho, and there was nothing. It felt so weird." Harry spewed.

Remus and Sirius exchanged a look.

"Err... Did you see?" Harry asked.

"Yeah, but it's ok. Sometimes that's how it goes. You kiss someone, and it's not right. My first kiss certainly didn't feel right." Sirius comforted.

"So, this is normal?" Harry asked.

"Oh, yeah. Perfectly normal." Remus reaffirmed.

Harry looked up at Remus, and then back at the ground.

"Well now what do I do? I just want to find Hermione and Neville and spend the rest of the trip with them." Harry admitted.

"Ok, here's what you do: First, go up to the bar and pay. Then apologize and let her down gently. Then book it out of here." Sirius instructed.

"Ok." Harry said, gathering himself. When he plucked up his courage, he repeated "ok, I'm going." Harry left the loo.

Remus looked back at Sirius lovingly. Then it dawned on him.
"Shit. If he's leaving, we also have to do he's now alone in Hogsmeade."

*****
Author's note

I'm sorry for the late update. I had two tech weeks in the past month, and I used up all of my pre-written material, so now what you are getting is the most recent thing I've written. Unfortunately I think I'm going to have to take a step back from this project for the next couple weeks, so uploads are going to be less consistent until I get through my exams. I hope you all will understand. But by no means am I stopping, and this story will continue.

I would especially like to thank those of you who read my uploads week-to-week for your patience.

I always appreciate votes, and I love reading all you comments, so please don't be shy.

~Savanah