01-A Graduate Now

The day couldn't be more hectic but Myra wasn't complaining. It was the day they were graduating from university and it seemed like the auditorium was buzzing with energy. Everyone was excited about their future, some about their jobs or next degree while others worried about their loved ones. She straightened herself on the not so comfortable seat and took a look around her. In the extreme right she could see a guy speaking something with a delicate smile on his face to the girl beside him, maybe asking her out but who cares. Three rows behind her she saw a group of girls excitedly sharing some secret and punching the air enthusiastically. She wondered would they work at the same place or were they staying at the same location, she wouldn't know and nor would they tell her.

Myra could figure out a few faces here and a few faces there. She did not remember everyone's names but their faces she knew she had seen somewhere, some were in elective classes, some lived in the same apartment or some were people she bumped into awkwardly when she was rushing from one class to another. None of these people mattered to her. Sitting in the auditorium, waiting for the convocation ceremony to start made her feel like she was a freshman yet again when they had to attend the course orientation sitting in uncomfortable company before their classes actually began. However that orientation was where she met two people, special lunatic tier people. Remembering them brought a smile on Myra's otherwise demure face.

Annie and Becky couldn't make it to today's ceremony on time. They were probably boarding their flights now to reach the university. Work life is tough and their current situation wasn't proving otherwise. Myra liked to think that they were fortunate to start working right after completing their course. They had their fair share of being picky while choosing their jobs and even if their current jobs made them work to the bone, they weren't complaining. The pay was good enough for starters and it was something they hoped they would continue loving for a very long time.

Annie and Becky were Myra's roommates and they were certified lunatic tier people. In the course of four years, they had grown pretty close to each other. It was the orientation day when they realized that they would be spending around four years of their life together. It was a bittersweet memory. Right after completing high school with a lot of unpleasant memories, friends for life was the last thing she was expecting at University. Her plan was to quietly focus on her studies and graduate without caring for shallow matters like friends. However it seemed that fate had some other plans for her, probably trying to balance out the negatives that she had to battle so far.

A notification from her phone made Myra look at the screen. She tried to hide the smile as her phone lit up with 1 unread message B.A.M. It was the group chat name for three of them. The name was a result of the first alphabet of their names, arranged in the order of the beds occupied in their room. Becky had the one near the door and Myra had the one near the window. Annie had left a message in the group, 2 hours to go baby. The world may become terrible but Myra selfishly hoped that their lives would remain as peaceful as their current situation.

The ceremony had started but Myra wasn't bothered to hear what else the university chairperson had to say the achievements of the university. It's a reputed university alright but there's only so much a person can tolerate. These not promoting but letting everyone know type of speeches were the most boring type. After hearing some more words about being proud for the accomplishments of the students and the university, the names of the students were being called one by one.

All the faculties were seated in the front row and had a glimmer in their eye that was never to be found while grading their assignments. Myra was feeling jittery from sitting continuously and for seconds experienced stage fright as she heard, "Myra Brassard from the School of Design." She stood up and tried to walk as confidently she could pasting a smile on her face.

Just like that the convocation ceremony was over. They had waited and planned for this day for years and today as they received their certificates she could hardly believe they were bidding goodbye. After a few photos with some acquaintances and classmates, she checked the time. There was another forty minutes left before she could meet Annie and Becky.

Instead of standing awkwardly beside people who were too busy taking pictures with friends or some people who were being asked out, she thought she'd meet some of the faculties who had truly left an impression on her. She would always be grateful to them for what they had taught in class and she found them useful at her current workplace too.

The mathematics department building was just right ahead and she thought she'd meet her maths prof. first. She had applied mathematics in one of her earlier semesters and this prof was like an older sibling to them. He was the type of faculty who would be punctual while completing their lessons and managed to tease his students in between with some comments related to the academic material.

Entering the first floor of the mathematics department, Myra found a lot of people had decided to visit their old faculties like her. She made her way across the sea of people to knock on the door of the faculty's office. While she was about to knock, someone's hand reached out and grabbed her wrist. Looking at the person who had grabbed her wrist, Myra's face was filled with shock.

990 words

© A. Shinrey 2022

A/N : What's the date when you're reading this? Comment here >>>