Uprising Consequences

"Stay inside." Your brother whispered in your ear. The tone of his voice reminded you of your mom. Your fists bundled into his shirt and an uneasy chill created goosebumps along your skin.

The familiar light air was replaced with an unbearable heaviness. Your chest felt like it was being crushed by the foreign intensity.

"Please, don't go."

"We have to. If we win, we can finally live like Piltover. That's what you want, right?" Your bother asked. You didn't reply. Instead, you nuzzled your face closer to his chest. Your hand was clenched tightly around his shirt.

You felt your mother's fingers brush through your hair. The movement always calmed you down whenever you had a nightmare. It didn't work this time. You couldn't stomach the idea of your family leaving to go to some kind of war.

Most of Zaun seemed keen on the idea of entering battle with Piltover. It was such big news and they've been holding meetings nearly every night. Your family attended every single gathering at Vandor's bar while you slept at home.

They didn't tell you what was going on until now. And you couldn't imagine them leaving you to enter a battlefield. Was this really necessary? Your family thinks so, but you couldn't imagine this being as good as they claim.

Fairytales never involve wars. They wish upon stars or have true love kiss. And that always seems to make everything better.

"It'll be okay. We'll be back by the time you wake up." Your mother reassured. You glanced in her direction and noticed her soft smile, "We still need to invite your friend over."

"Don't go up to the docks tonight. You're staying here all night. You understand?" Your brother stated. This wasn't a request. It was a command. You knew this was for your safety, but it felt like he was trying to hide something. Hesitantly, you nodded your head.

Your brother slowly pulled away and you pulled your blankets closer to you.

"Get some rest." Said your dad. He leaned down and pressed a gentle kiss to your forehead. Your mother gave you a warm hug, which you returned. You wrapped your arms around her as tightly as you could, trying to convey a silent plea of staying with you. Unfortunately, she didn't seem to get the message. She pulled back with that same soft smile on her lips.

"This will be good for us. When this is over, we'll be living like the city of progress." Your brother donned a heroic hero pose. Typically, the pose would make you laugh. But now, you were so wrapped in your own dread that you couldn't think of any joy.

Your brother and father said their final goodbyes before leaving your room.

Your mother leaned down beside your bed.

"Here," She takes off her bracelet. She grabs your arm and gently wraps the bracelet around your wrist. The eye looped in the string was staring right at you. It was slightly big and could easily fall off if you weren't careful. "You'll grow into it." Your mother promised.

"It'll help protect you when we're gone." She kisses the side of your cheek. When she pulls away, her thumb tenderly rubs your cheek. "I love you."

"I love you too." You say back.

Your mother slowly closes the door. You heard their footsteps as they exited through the front door. When the door is slammed shut, you realize that you're finally alone.

They were really doing this.

~~~~~

They've only been gone for ten minutes. But it felt like an eternity. You couldn't sleep.