Peas in a Pod

When your family was busy, going up to the surface helped put you at ease. It was nice to be greeted the sun, even if you had to squint for a moment so your eyes could adjust to the bright light. The sun kissed your skin and you grinned at the warmth that caressed your skin.

Living in the underground meant you rarely see the light. Did the people of Piltover like waking up to the glimmer of the sun every morning? When the sun leaves and night takes over, do they take the time to appreciate the stars? You've never seen stars before. You had to return home as soon as dawn settled. When you're finally older and can take care of yourself, you hope you can witness the beauty the darkness creates.

You walk out of the elevator and take a long inhale of the fresh air, - well, as fresh as it could be from the smog being created from the nearby factories,- and let out a content sigh. You couldn't complain. Compared to the undercity, it was definitely a promotion from the suffocating pollution that plagued the dark depths.

Distant chatter could be heard at the end of the street. Depending on whose chatting, it could mean trouble. Your best approach would be to walk in the opposite direction. Best to avoid any conflict. Your parents wouldn't be happy if you came home with any scraps from a fight.

The more you walked, the less people you began to hear. The only audible noise was the sound of your shoes hitting the pavement with each step. Looking around to make sure you were in the clear, you smiled when you discovered no one was nearby. With your hands swaying by your side, you walked around the street with a pep in your step.

You climb up a pile of crates lined against a wall. A wooden structure hung above you, just tall enough for your fingers to brush. With a small hop, your hands successfully managed to grab a wooden plank. As you hoisted yourself up, you felt a stinging in your hands and noticed there were splinters digging inside your palms.

You walk along the planks, your head down and picking at all of the splinters that rudely interject themselves into your hand. You rubbed your hands together when you finished and you looked up to see where you were.

Nothing but the tops of buildings beside you. All of them were close enough to hop onto. You jump over onto a flat rooftop. Walking over to the edge, you take a seat with your legs lazily dangling over the edge. They begin kicking back and forth.

You sigh and dreamily stare at the city across the river. You lean forward to try and catch every glimpse, every detail of the beautiful city ahead. Their buildings were tall and clean. With pristine windows and balconies to accentuate their homely lifestyle. The large balloons in the sky cast shadows over the tallest buildings. Even then, the bright promise of a better future could not be shrouded underneath.

Piltover is always ten, - no, fifty, - steps ahead of Zaun. Their technological advances were things you could never understand or afford.

What was it like to live in a city like that? A city where they don't have to worry when their next meal is gonna be? A city where they have comfortable furniture and the softest blankets you could imagine, unlike the scratchy wool blanket you wrapped around yourself every night.

You hummed to yourself while wondering if their beds felt like clouds. Or were there beds made of clouds? Like something that would come out of a fairytale, your parents would retell.

You wondered if they had their own hardships. Did they have gas leaks that killed people too?

You shuddered at the thought. Gilda's shining face is still imprinted in your mind. It was a strange feeling to think someone your age was gone forever. Someone who wasn't a prevalent being in your life, but someone you liked nonetheless.