"On Top Of The World (And Crashing Back Down)" Dark!Player Angst

!WARNINGS!
Implied brainwashing, manipulation, and possible past parental death.

Description: 

It's been months since Player first disappeared, months where Carmen and the rest of her team were left waiting for some kind of sign, anything that would lead them to Player.

She gets it on top of a Ferris wheel.

--

Or, alternatively: The Ferris wheel scene but with Dark!Player instead of Carmen.

For the first time since his mother's death, Player felt good.

On the first heist VILE had sent him on, Player had successfully captured everything the faculty had asked for, before breaking free of his babysitters – Though the operatives would never admit it, Player was certain that the only reason they were here was to watch him - and single-handedly stole a Stradivarius.

Player would never forget the look on their faces when he'd snapped back into the video communications line, strumming an old theme from some sort of crime show. It was priceless!

The moment he got to the island, they would be begging him to go out for another heist, he just knew it.

"And there's the kid of the year!" With the call, Player was knocked out of his euphoria. He turned, mirth clear on his face, to the four VILE operatives sitting on the benches in front of him.

Kid of the year... he wasn't a kid, not anymore. But, as Player dipped into a mock bow, he figured he'd allow it, just this once. A grin took up his face as he heard the operatives take up a small toast of "To Player!"

Well, most of the operatives.

He righted himself and plopped down next to Tigress, completely ignoring her angered scowl. "Aww, come on, kitty! You really don't wanna' be friends?" She growled something under her breath, Player smiled," That was claw-ful." Dramatically, he placed a hand on his chest," So rude to mew-"

"Fine." Player leaned back as the other operative's claws unsheathed, her eyes narrowed into thin daggers. He smiled, a sick, twisted sense of satisfaction building in his chest, I won. "If you shut up, then we're 'friends', got it?"

"Got it, kitty!"

She slashed at him, but Player pulled back at the last second, leaving her claws to hit empty air as he laughed.

"Brat-" Tigress hissed, metaphorical tail lashing.

"Cat." Not his best counter, though it did rhyme. And really, wasn't that all that mattered?

After a moment, the conversations from the other operatives came back. Laughter, elation, they were happy. Why shouldn't they be? They'd done it! Player had done it! Proved he was worth all the time and effort the Faculty put into rearing him, proved he was valuable enough to keep around.

For once, Player joined in with the operatives, other hardened criminals, and his colleagues now, to laugh and jeer. To put it bluntly: It was good, and if he could accomplish this in just a month or two... what could he do with a couple more? A year? I'll be Faculty in no time.

A flash of red out of the corner of his eye, and suddenly Player's smile is gone. He knew there were plainclothes here, but she wasn't supposed to be...