Chapter 1-Victory

Princess Zelda gripped the Blessed Screw as she stood with Link and the four Champions, having defeated Calamity Ganon, and said farewell to the heroes from the future who had helped them achieve victory. The Blessed Screw was the heart of the guardian Terrako and had just sent Riju, Yunobo, Teba, and Sidon back to their own timeline.

The victory over Ganon was a happy moment for Hyrule. But for Princess Mipha, it also held a touch of sadness. She had just said farewell to her grown brother Sidon, a brother she loved so very much and who loved her too. Sidon had grown up suffering from his sister's death in his timeline, and their time together in this new timeline had been all too brief. She watched as the other Champions congratulated Link and Zelda. And she especially watched how Link behaved around Zelda.

"I knew you could do it, little guy!" said Daruk as he slapped Link on the back, sending Link staggering.

"We're all proud of you, Link," said Urbosa. "You did well."

"I'm glad your luck held out," said Revali.

Link thanked them but noticed Mipha was quiet and not joining in the celebration. He realized saying farewell to her brother must have been difficult for her, so he went over to speak with her.

"Are you okay, Mipha?" Link asked. "I know everyone is celebrating but meeting your grown brother and then watching him leave must be hard for you."

"I'll be alright, Link," said Mipha as she looked out over Hyrule. "I just hope my dear brother is safe and well back in his world."

Mipha then turned to Link as the others talked among themselves.

"So, Link, what are your plans now? Do you intend to remain here with your Princess?"

"What? Do you mean Zelda? I don't think she needs me anymore," said Link. "I was hoping I could return to Zora's Domain and spend time with you. Remember we spoke on Ruta, and you said when all this was over, you hoped we could spend some time together like we used to? So now we can do just that. And Mipha, you're my Princess."

"Of course, you can return home with me, Link," said Mipha. "You are always welcome there. But it's funny to hear you say that I'm your Princess. All this time up to the very moment of Ganon's defeat, you ignored me, Link. You seemed to only have eyes for Princess Zelda."

"I know it must have seemed that way, and I'm sorry," Link said as he lowered his eyes. "But it wasn't because I lost my feelings for you, Mipha, or developed feelings for Zelda. Instead, it was all the pressure of preparing to fight Ganon and serving as Zelda's bodyguard. That was all I could think of: combat training, so I didn't let Hyrule down and protecting Zelda so she could seal Ganon away. It was just my duty."

"I know it was hard for you, dear friend," said Mipha. "Yes, I still say 'dear friend' because despite ignoring me all this time, you do remain my dearest friend, even more than a friend. Link, I want you to know ... well, never mind. Ganon is defeated now, so you are free to do whatever you wish."

"I wish to be with you," said Link. "Let's say goodbye to the others and go."

Meanwhile, people were also congratulating Zelda.

"I believed in you, too, Princess," said Daruk. "Next time you visit Goron City, we'll have a big Rock Roast dinner to celebrate!"

"Er, well maybe, but thank you, Daruk," said Zelda.

"I'm so proud of you, little bird," said Urbosa. "You flew high and saved us all."

"You had me worried for a while," said Revali. "I'm happy it finally worked out."

"Thank you, all of you, but we needed every one of us to achieve victory," said Zelda. "Your help was vital as well."

Then Zelda noticed that Link had left the group and wandered off to speak with Mipha a short distance away. For some reason, that annoyed her. She had gotten used to Link being with her, always by her side. So, she approached the two of them.

"Excuse me for interrupting," said Zelda. "But I wish to speak with my father now. Link, you may accompany me there."

"Forgive me, Princess, but I was hoping to return to Zora's Domain with Mipha," said Link. "You don't need a bodyguard anymore. The Royal Guards can protect you now, not that there's much to protect you from."

"Have I not asked you to call me Zelda, not Princess?" said Zelda. "And let me remind you that my father has not dismissed you from your duty."

"Zelda, we both know I'm not needed," said Link. "Hyrule is safe now. I'm ashamed I've neglected my dear friend Mipha the whole time I was your guard. Please explain that to His Majesty, and if he wants me arrested, you know where to find me. But I think he will agree with me."

Zelda was annoyed and furious but did not want to cause a scene in front of the others. Without saying goodbye, she turned away. She had hoped Link would have developed feelings for her after all their time together but realized he must still care for Mipha.

Meanwhile, Mipha and Link said their farewells to the others, then Mipha and Link began the journey to Zora's Domain.