Chapter 5 - Award Ceremony

It was a sunny afternoon in the large throne room in Hyrule Castle, with soldiers stationed around the perimeter, invited guests just inside them, and the four Champions plus Link standing in line at the center of the room. Zelda stood in front of the Champions, and they all faced King Rhoam.
"Welcome back, Champions!" said King Rhoam. "I have not had the chance to personally thank you for all you did to save our kingdom, and words cannot express my gratitude. My dear daughter, Zelda, suggested that you were all worthy of receiving the Royal Medal of Valor, and I couldn't agree with her more. When I call your name, please step forward, and my daughter will present the medal to you. I will call you alphabetically."
King Rhoam cleared his throat, then one-by-one called Daruk, Link, Mipha, Revali, and Urbosa to step forward and Princess Zelda draped the golden medal attached to a royal blue ribbon around their necks. Link looked at Zelda closely as she presented him with the award, but Zelda was thoroughly business-like and showed no emotion. Nor did she act any differently as Link watched her present Mipha with her medal. Perhaps she had gotten over her jealousy and come to her senses?
Once all the medals were presented, those in attendance broke into applause until King Rhoam asked for everyone's attention and spoke again.
"Now, you are all invited to a private banquet in the dining room, and I expect to speak to each of you individually there," said King Rhoam. "Let us enjoy some food, drink, and good company!"
The meeting disbanded, and Link at once joined Mipha, taking her hand. Revali joined Urbosa, and Zelda was busy speaking to her father as they made their way to the dining room.
"Do you want to leave now?" whispered Link to Mipha. "I can say I don't feel well."
"That would be rude," whispered Mipha. "Do you feel the need to?"
"I'm still worried about Zelda, though she seems okay now," whispered Link.
"We should see this through," whispered Mipha. "We owe it to King Rhoam."
"You two lovebirds having a private chat, or can anyone join in?" exclaimed Daruk as he joined them and gave Link one of his pats on the back that sent Link staggering.
"Nice to see you, too," laughed Daruk. "Keep patting me on the back like that, and I'll grow a Goron shell like a tortoise."
"You wish!" laughed Daruk. "Then we could do some rolling together. Though I'm not sure that Mipha would like it."
"How are you, Daruk?" Mipha asked.
"Same old, same old," laughed Daruk. "Glad you two look so happy. But I'm hoping they brought in some tasty rocks for our banquet."
When they reached the dining room, the meal was buffet style with everyone helping themselves to the food they liked. There was indeed an assortment of rocks, including a hot rock roast, but there was plenty of fish, both cooked and raw, as well as meat, fruit, and vegetables.
"Mm, looks delicious," said Link as he rubbed his hands together.
Everyone first greeted King Rhoam and received his personal thanks. Then they lined up and collected their food. Link and Mipha ate together at a small table as Link watched Zelda making the rounds of the room, chatting with each of the Champions in turn. Zelda spent the most time with Urbosa, as she and Urbosa were the closest, Urbosa having been good friends with Zelda's mother. Then Zelda spoke with Revali, who was waving his wings around speaking about his special aerial combat techniques.
"Are you going to speak with me or stare at Zelda all afternoon?" said Mipha, interrupting Link's thoughts.
"Sorry, sweetheart, it's not what you think," said Link. "I'm just still worried about what Zelda might do."
Before speaking with Mipha and Link, Zelda approached her father.
"Father, I think it would be helpful if you spoke privately with Link about his thoughts for rebuilding the Royal Guards," said Zelda. "He may have some insights into how best to recruit and train talent."
"That's an excellent idea," said King Rhoam. "Will you join us?"
"I need to finish making the rounds of the Champions first," said Zelda. "Perhaps afterward."
King Rhoam made his way to the table where Mipha and Link were seated, and they rose out of respect.
"Thank you both again for all you did, and congratulations on your happy marriage," said King Rhoam. "Link, I wonder if I might have a word in private with you about the Royal Guards?"
"Oh, um, of course, Your Majesty," said Link. "Right now?"
"Yes, if you don't mind," said King Rhoam. "My daughter said she will join us once she finishes speaking to all the Champions. So we can just move to the end of the room and speak there."
Link glanced at Mipha, then followed King Rhoam to the far end of the room. But he kept glancing back at the table where Mipha was seated.
"How do you feel we can increase our recruitment efforts, Link?" said King Rhoam.
"Well, Your Majesty, I would start with recruitment posters advertising the advantages of enlisting," said Link.
But he was distracted and kept glancing back at where Mipha was seated. He saw Zelda approaching their table and stopping to speak with Mipha. Just then, King Rhoam began talking to him, and Link turned back to face the king.
"Hello, Mipha. I wanted to thank you for all you did for Hyrule," said Zelda as she reached the table.
"You're very welcome," said Mipha.
"Could we speak privately for a moment?" Zelda asked as she glanced around. "I owe you and Link an apology for my inexcusable behavior on your wedding day."
"Can we not speak here?"
"I don't want my father or the others to hear," said Zelda. "I feel so ashamed. We can just step in the hallway out of earshot."
"Very well, if it makes you feel more comfortable, Zelda."
Mipha followed Zelda to the hallway. And when Link turned back to check on Mipha, he began to panic. She and Zelda were both gone.
"Forgive me, Your Majesty, but I just remembered something urgent," said Link as he rushed back toward where he had been sitting.
Daruk was nearby speaking with Revali, and he interrupted them.
"Sorry, have either of you seen Mipha?"
"She just stepped outside with Princess Zelda," said Daruk.
"Rude as ever, Link," said Revali. "Can't you see that Daruk and I are speaking?"
But Link didn't wait to discuss things. Instead, he raced to the hallway and found Zelda with Mipha. And Zelda was holding a knife to Mipha's throat.
"Don't come any closer, Link!" said Zelda. "I don't want to hurt you too."
"Zelda, stop and think before it's too late for you," said Link.
"Too late for me?"
"Yes," said Link. "If you do this, you will forever taint the blood of the Goddess. Don't you remember you are Hylia's descendant? How many hours did we spend together praying at the sacred springs of Power, Courage, and Wisdom? Are you going to throw all that away because of some petty jealousy? You are the future ruler of Hyrule. You need to lead our kingdom someday and with the grace of the Goddess that you can pass on to your daughter someday."
Zelda paused, as what Link said was true. Link was prepared to spring at Zelda if she made a move to hurt Mipha but hoped Zelda would see the wisdom in what he said and change her mind - do the right thing on her own.
"You're right," said Zelda as she lowered the knife, and Mipha rushed to Link's side. "I'm sorry. I know you can never forgive me, but you're right - I will not betray the Goddess."
Zelda began crying as Link let out a deep breath and took the knife from her.

"It may take a little while, Zelda," said Link. "But I want us to be friends again. We have a special bond, you and I. So let's not forget it. Come, let's return to the party, and we will say nothing of this."
"Thank you," said Zelda as she dried her eyes and composed herself. "I am so sorry, truly."
Zelda made their way back to the dining hall and went to speak with her father.
"That was close," said Mipha when she and Link were alone.
"I hoped that Zelda would remember she was a descendant of Hylia," said Link. "But I was prepared to jump her if she didn't."
"I do hope we can be friends again with Zelda someday," said Mipha.
"I think we will," said Link. "But now, as long as we have some privacy in the hallway."
Then Mipha and Link laughed and kissed several times before holding hands and returning to the party.