Chapter 3-Wedding

It was a sunny afternoon in Hyrule Castle, and Princess Zelda was meeting with her father, King Rhoam.
"I am so proud of you, Zelda!" said King Rhoam. "You fulfilled your duty to Hyrule like the true Princess you are. I only wish your dear mother was here to share in your triumph."
"Thank you, Father," said Zelda. "I wish that too, though sometimes I feel Mother is still with me in spirit. I know you were hard on me sometimes, Father, but I realize it was your duty as King to put the well-being of our people first."
"I'm glad you understand, but all that is behind us now, and I hope you are happy," said King Rhoam. "You can move on to enjoy life without the worry of sealing Ganon."
Zelda looked down, and then back up.
"Yes...But there is one thing I am not happy about, Father. Link, the knight you assigned to guard me, has gone off to be with...an old friend. Should he not have obtained your permission first? I have grown rather fond of his company. I feel you should summon him to return here at once."
"But why do you need a knight attendant now, Zelda? Ganon and his monsters are gone, and the Yiga Clan has joined us and wishes only to live in peace. We have the Royal Guard here to protect us. Link deserves a medal for all he did for Hyrule. I would not wish to stop Link from being with those he wished to spend time with. I believe you're letting your personal feelings cloud your judgment, Zelda."
"Very well, Father," said Princess Zelda. "I should go now."
Zelda turned and walked back to her room. When she got there, she saw her diary on her desk, a diary she had begun writing of her feelings for Link in. She picked it up and angrily threw it across the room.
Meanwhile, Mipha and Link held hands in Zora's Domain as they spoke to Mipha's father, King Dorephan. Link was rather nervous, as he wasn't sure how her father would react to his marrying Mipha. Would her father accept him or ask to speak privately to his daughter and try to talk her out of it?
"I hope we can have your blessing, Father," said Mipha.
King Dorephan turned to Link.
"Do you love my daughter, Link?"
"Yes, Your Majesty, with all my heart," said Link.
Then King Dorephan turned back to Mipha.
"As for you, sweetheart, I have known where your heart lies for some time now," said King Dorephan to Mipha, "I have seen your smile and the gleam in your eyes when you are together with Link. So, of course, you have my blessing, and I look forward to welcoming Link to the family."
Link breathed an enormous sigh of relief as Mipha rushed to hug her father once more.
"Thank you, Father," said Mipha. "I love you and am so happy!"
After they embraced for a moment, King Dorephan spoke up.
"I love you too, my dearest daughter. I can make all the wedding arrangements, and we can have everything ready in one week," said King Dorephan. "Just let me know whom to invite fromDomainde the Domain. Everyone here will be thrilled to attend a Royal wedding."
"Link and I will make a list," said Mipha. "It will be pretty short, I imagine, as neither of us has had much time to cultivate friends."
Link and Mipha left holding hands, then sat down in one of the gazebo structures that overlooked the plaza. They kissed several times, and then Link spoke up.
"I was more nervous just now than when facing a Guardian," said Link. "I was afraid your father would not approve of me."
"He likes and respects you, Link," said Mipha. "And he knows I always follow my heart and would not have given up so easily. Now, as to our list?"
"Well, Zelda and the Champions," said Link as he considered things. "I don't have any family or real friends."
After delivering the list to King Dorephan, Mipha and Link were free to enjoy a week together as a happily engaged couple. They swam together, chased Sunset Fireflies, took long walks, sat together, and kissed more times than you could count.
Meanwhile, the wedding invitations had gone out, and reactions were somewhat different depending upon the recipient.
Daruk tore open the envelope and read the invitation.
King Dorephan requests the honor of your presence in Zora's Domain at the wedding of his daughter Mipha to Hero of Hyrule, Link.
The invite went on to give the date and such.
"Well, roll me down a mountain!" exclaimed Daruk. "I knew Mipha had eyes for Link, but I wasn't sure about the reverse. That's great for the little guy, and her too."
He sent off a reply that he would attend.
"What's this?" said Revali as the letter was delivered.
He read the letter, then whistled.
"Wow! That's interesting. I should go as I've always respected Mipha. She learned to pilot her Divine Beast as quickly as me," said Revali to himself.
Urbosa's reaction was different. As the one closest to Zelda, she knew Zelda had developed feelings for Link. She frowned after reading the invitation.
"What is it, Chief?" said her guard.
"I think the Hylian Champion is rushing things by marrying Zora Champion Mipha and making a big mistake too," said Urbosa. "I shall not attend."
She sent off her regrets.
And the invite also caused a reaction at Hyrule Castle.
"A letter for you, Your Highness," said the guard who delivered the invite to Princess Zelda.
Zelda opened the envelope, and her face went white after reading the note.
"No! No! This can't be!" exclaimed Zelda, breathing hard.
She had planned to visit Link and kindle his attraction to her. But now, he was going to marry that fishy Mipha in only a week. She needed to act quickly and replied she was eager to attend.
The wedding would take place in the afternoon, and by that morning, all the guests had arrived. Mipha was busy getting ready, but Link greeted each of the guests in turn and thanked them for coming.
"Wouldn't miss it for the world, little guy!" chuckled Daruk.
"Try not to mess up the ceremony," said Revali. "For Mipha's sake, I mean."
"Congratulations, Link," said Zelda. "Could we have a word in private?"
"Of course, Zelda," said Link. "Um, we can walk to Mikau Lake. It's just up the path."
Zelda and Link went off together, and Link was surprised at how quiet Zelda was. When they reached Mikau Lake, Zelda turned to him.
"What do you think of me?" Zelda asked.
"What?"
"How do you feel about me?" said Zelda.
"I think you're a fantastic person," said Link. "I admire how you took charge when we thought your father was killed. I am sure you will make a great Queen of Hyrule someday."
"Do you not think me attractive?"
"I think you're beautiful," said Link. "But this conversation is making me uncomfortable, Zelda. What are you getting at?"
"I've grown fond of you during our time together," said Zelda. "I respect your heroism and loyalty. I think you are hasty rushing off to marry Mipha before we've had a chance to get to know each other better and grow closer."
Link was quiet for a moment as this took him by surprise.
"I'm sorry you feel that way, Zelda, but I'm not rushing things. I've known Mipha almost my whole life. I love Mipha, and I know she loves me. I should get back now."
"I am not finished, and since time is short, I will put matters more plainly," said Zelda, and now her tone was one of anger and threat.
"If you marry Mipha, I will make sure your marriage to her is a short one," said Zelda.
"What!? I can't believe my ears! You're threatening Mipha?"
"You heard me," said Zelda.
"I will protect Mipha with my life," said Link. "And you know how good I am at protecting someone. So, I think you should go, Zelda. I will make an excuse for you, but there is no way I want you here or will let you near Mipha now."
"You could have had my love, Link," said Zelda. "Now you have my hate!"
With that, Zelda walked away, and a short time later, departed with her two guards. Link told anyone who asked that Zelda wasn't feeling herself. He would tell Mipha what happened after they were married.
When the time came for the ceremony, Link stood alone in the middle of the area. Everyone attending had already assembled on the level just below the throne room, where the wedding ceremony would take place in front of Hylia's statue. The reception would be held on the plaza level below that, and buffet-style food and drink stations had already been set up. There would also be dancing in the plaza and in the water on the lower level. The musicians had begun getting ready and could be heard tuning their instruments.
Link could hear multiple conversations in the background but tried to block them out of his head. He gazed at the statue of Hylia in front of him and said another brief prayer, partly to calm his nerves. Then he looked up at the stairway to the throne room. Soon King Dorephan and Mipha would descend those stairs, and the service would be underway. He couldn't wait. The tension of waiting was making him nervous again.
Then the crowd quieted down as the musicians began to play. It was time.
The musicians played what Link took to be a Zora wedding march, and it was a happy, joyful melody that gave him a thrill as he listened to it. Zoras were masters of composing and performing music that could touch your heart and create the mood they wished. Then King Dorephan proceeded slowly down the steps from the throne room with Mipha at his side and holding his daughter's arm. This was Link's and the audience's first view of Mipha today, and there were murmurs of awe from the crowd. Link found himself staring with his mouth open at how beautiful she looked.
Mipha wore most of her traditional ornaments. But now, she also wore an elbow-length pale blue lace veil parted in the front, her face uncovered. Upon her head, she wore a precious Zora Sapphire tiara. The tiara gleamed a bright silver in the sunlight, and the three sapphires glowed a deep rich blue. In her two hands that she held clasped before her, she carried an elegant bouquet of Swift Violet and Blue Nightshade flowers.
King Dorephan escorted Mipha to Link's side, then Mipha and Link both knelt on one knee facing him. King Dorephan then placed a hand on each of their shoulders and said a short prayer. The audience all bowed their heads.
"On behalf of the Zora kingdom, I pray that the Goddess may bless this couple, protect them from harm, and guide them to live their lives in her grace."
With that, King Dorephan withdrew to the side. Mipha and Link both rose and stood side-by-side as the Zora priest approached to take King Dorephan's place.
Mipha stole a glance at Link and smiled, and he smiled back. Then they turned back to face the priest.
A young Zora priest named Kapson was performing the service today. He had recently assumed that responsibility when his predecessor retired, and this was his first wedding. However, given the importance of the occasion, he had thoroughly prepared for it.
Kapson cleared his throat now and addressed the audience.
"I am now going to administer the oath of marriage to Lady Mipha and Master Link. This is a sacred and precious moment in their lives in which they will swear their love and devotion to each other. So please respect this moment with your silence."
Then Kapson addressed Mipha and Link.
"I will now repeat the marriage oath to each of you," said Kapson. "And if you accept the oath, then I ask that you acknowledge it by saying 'I do.'"
Mipha and Link both nodded their understanding.
Kapson cleared his throat again and spoke in a louder voice.
"Link, do you from this day forward take Mipha to be your wife, and do you swear before Nayru and all present that you will love her, honor her, care for her and be a faithful husband to her for as long as you both shall live?"
"I do," said Link.
"Mipha, do you from this day forward take Link to be your husband, and do you swear before Nayru and all present that you will love him, honor him, care for him and be a faithful wife to him for as long as you both shall live?"
"I do," said Mipha.
"Master Link and Lady Mipha have now each sworn their love and commitment to the other. Therefore, under the authority granted to me as a priest of the Zora, I now pronounce Master Link and Lady Mipha to be husband and wife in the eyes of the Goddess and the Zora kingdom. You may now seal your commitment to each other with a kiss."
Link and Mipha kissed, and the crowd burst into hearty applause.
"I love you, and I have never been so happy as I am this very moment," said Link.
"Nor have I, sweetheart," said Mipha. "I love you, and may this be the first of many happy moments in our life together."
"And to say you look beautiful would be an insult," said Link. "You look as if you stepped straight from a dream."
"As long as it is your dream, my love, I am happy," said Mipha as they kissed a second time.
King Dorephan then approached, holding Sidon's hand.
"Welcome to the family, Link," said King Dorephan. "I hope you will feel comfortable calling me father now."
"I may not feel comfortable yet," said Link. "But I will happily do so, Father, and I am very honored to be part of your family."
Link then bent down and gave Sidon a fist bump.
"Hello Sidon, we're finally brothers now," said Link.
Sidon still didn't understand how Link could suddenly become his brother, but as long as they could still play together, he didn't care. He grinned and fist-bumped him back. Fist bumps were apparently a fun thing Hylians did. Then King Dorephan addressed the crowd.
"Now, everyone let us all adjourn to the plaza below and celebrate," said King Dorephan. "There is plenty of food and some excellent dancing music. It is my royal command that all of you have a wonderful time!"
Everyone applauded and then began to make their way down the two stairways to the plaza level. Link and Mipha held hands as they walked down the stairs. After a few minutes that gave everyone time to arrive, one of the musicians announced that it was time for the newlyweds to have their first dance together.
Link took Mipha into his arms, and they danced. They both never felt happier!