Chapter 6

"So, where do you live?" he asked.

     "Oh, actually I live right down the road. I can walk back if you need to get home. Your parents are probably worried," I said.

     "No, it's no problem! I don't mind taking you back. Besides, I texted my mom earlier to let her know that I was hanging out with a new friend and I was going to be late," he said. "I think she'd be more upset if I let you walk home in the dark."

     "Oh, uhm. Okay, if you're sure it's not a problem," I said. New friend...? Oh, what does it matter? He'll probably end up hating me, anyway. Don't get attached.

     "I'm 100% sure. Where do I go?" he asked.

     I started giving him directions to my house, which didn't take long. I wasn't joking when I said I lived right down the road. Whenever we pulled onto my street, I told him where to stop the car. There was another car in the driveway... shit, their friends. I forgot about them.

     "No way, you live here?" he asked.

     "Yeah... why?"

     "I literally live two houses down."

     "Really?"

     "Yeah, that's so cool," he said.

     "Yeah, what are the odds?" I ask rhetorically.

     "Well, c'mon," he said as he shut off the car and opened his door.

     "Wait... what do you mean?" I ask.

     "I wanna walk you to your door," he said.

     Shit shit shit shit shit shit

     Jen and Walter's friends are still over. They'll fucking kill me if I walk into the house before they're gone. How the fuck am I gonna get out of this?

     "Barry? You alright?" he asked with concern pinching his features.

     "Uh... yeah, yeah I'm alright," I say. "I think I'm actually just gonna... take a walk, around the neighborhood and stuff. Thank you so much for the ride home, that was really cool of you. I appreciate it!" I said frantically as I rushed to get my backpack and open the door.

     "Wait, are you sure?" he asked.

     "Yeah, yep! I'm sure, have a nice night! Thanks again for everything," I said as I started to walk off.

     "Wait, wait hold on. Do you want me to come with you or do you wanna just hang out at my place for a bit or something?" he asked. "I just really don't want you to walk alone in the dark, what if something happens and there's no one around to help you?"

     I weigh my options. Option one, I could suck it up and go inside my house. I'll get my ass beaten but eventually make it to my room. And then get a worse beating in the morning, after their friends are gone, for embarrassing them. I don't like that one. Option two, I could walk around the neighborhood until their friends leave, which may not happen for hours. Not the best option but I've done it before. Or, option three. I could go with Oliver to his house and hang out and probably have fun, even if I barely know him. And then I could go back to my house when their car is gone, or until Oliver goes to bed. And even if I leave his house before the car is gone, it's still less time outside in the cold...

     "Uhm... I guess we could go back to your house, if you want," I say quietly.

     "Okay," he smiled. "You can meet my family and we can play video games and watch movies!" he said excitedly.