CHAPTER THREE

"are you going to keep that hair cut"

'italics' = rue monologue

AFTER WALKING HOME completely zooted, alaska took a well deserved nap on a bed that didn't have lumps grinding at her muscles and unstrapped, free to roll around however she pleases.

after 19 hours, Alaska's body took its final straw and drew her out of bed. I mean what body wouldn't, after drinking nearly two litres of whatever concoction she had made last night; it had to dispose the waste somewhere. this wasn't her first choice, but she'd rather not die in a puddle of her own piss if optional.

alaska turns on the water, the handle on hot yet the water running out of it is cold. listening to her faucet run while she hides her hands under it. she can feel the water getting warmer and warmer, heat increases ever-so-slowly.

she stares into her bathroom mirror, her reflection staring back. she looked exactly the same, same hair, same eyes, same nose, same lips, same bone structure. everyone says she'd changed after she stopped giving a shit about living, how all her comments are uncalled for and rude, or how she doesn't need to run her mouth with every thought she has or even how she stopped taking care of her looks. but the truth is, she'd never changed, she'd just taken a step back from her stuck up life to revel in her own misery, where her truer self laid.

everyone says that alaska had changed, but she couldn't see how.

the wong girl looked and felt exactly the same and she hates it. she hated what stared back at her because she knew whatever was festering behind those dead eyes of her, she despised- and whatever she despised she wanted gone.

"ALASKA!" the call of her name snaps her away from her staring contest (she swore she could've won). her attention was drawn to the figure of her father leaning against the frame, she guesses hes back from the hospital.

'dr. shaun wong likes to think of himself as a good father, he pays the bills, feeds the family, provides necessities, the bare minimum of what a parent should do

before Alaska's attempt of suicide, dr.wong, like every other parent, thought his daughter was happy with this privileged life.

he gave her everything (and nothing)

but ever since that day, whilst his wife basically cut all ties from her daughter, he was forced to home a child he found out he never truely knew

a stranger'

"what" she mutters, still groggy. shaun rushes towards his daughter, removing her hand away from the boiling water now inspecting the inflamed skin.

"you gotta pay more attention to this stuff"

'dr wong didn't exactly hate his daughter, he cared for her very much, but how can you care for someone you don't even know'

the dark haired girl watches as her dad expertly runs her burned hands under cold water whilst rummaging through the first aid kit, "my bad, who knew faucet water could get that hot" alaska knew, and her dad knew it.

the gauge was gently wrapped around both hands, and alaska waits for the sigh of relief from her father to be released. she knows what comes next, "when'd you get back?" even her own father doesn't know her discharge date, "yesterday" her replies are curt.