Cast Iron Skillet- Nicky

I sat next to Dawn as we ate breakfast. I came over the previous night because she was freaking out about her audition for a really big Glee Club solo. I listened to her sing for 2 hours. I'm surprised she didn't lose her voice.

"I'm freaking out!" She yelled, "I will literally cry if I lose yet another solo to Brooklyn."
"Dawn, you're gonna do great. I didn't listen to you sing your solo over and over for two hours for nothing. If you don't get it Ms. Tassinari will never hear the end of it from me," I said.
"Really Dawn? we all got problems," Ricky said, "try tossing and turning all night because you have a horrible feeling that you didn't ace your science test!"
I rolled my eyes, "Ricky, I'm sure you did fine."
"We're in high school now, Y/N! Those grades will be in our transcripts!"
"I'm working so hard for Taylie to like me. I've been not talking to her for weeks, and she still hasn't talked to me!" Dicky complained.
"I'm confused do you wanna talk to her or not?" Dawn asked.
"Of course I wanna talk to her! That's why I'm not talking to her," he smiled.
I slapped my head, "Dicky, you should do the exact opposite of that."
Nicky nodded, "Maybe you should change your approach."
"What, so you two are saying that I gotta talk to her? But I got nothing to talk about."
"Well, all your problems are pale in comparison to mine: the Boulder-dash," Nicky said getting up and going over to the island, "it's the farthest two points at the school that any student has to travel, and I have to do it between second and third period. Ugh, it's nearly in possible." He picked up is Vidalia onions.
"Dude, are you crying?" Dicky asked.
"It's the onions," I said.
"My Vidalia onions," he corrected me.
"Sorry, his Vidalia onions," I said.
"If I'm late for cooking class one more time, Mr. Wigglesworth is gonna give me a detention," Nicky said.
Ricky got up and walked over to him, "Well, maybe you'd make it on time if you weren't lugging all that food and I don't know a cast-iron skillet."
Nicky gasped, "my baby is perfectly seasoned! I shall not cook without her."
I rolled my eyes. Sometimes I think he loves that thing more than me. I know it's stupid... and weird to be jealous of a skillet, but the way he talks about it makes it seem like it's another girl.
"Don't worry Nicky, I'll do my best do distract Mr. Wigglesworth so you can to class on time," I said.
He smiled, "Thanks, Y/N."
"I always forget you two are taking cooking class together," Dawn said.
"We wanted to make sure we had at least one class together," Nicky said walking over and putting his hands on my shoulders.
"And I like cooking, so why not?" I said.
"I still have to teach her a few things here and there, but she's pretty good at it," He said kissing my head.
"You guys are just so cute together," Dicky smiled.
"Thanks, Dicky," I said getting up to put my bowl in the sink.

***

I sat at Nicky and I's station in cooking class. I could hear him yelling in the distance.
"Make a hole, people! I'm on the Boulder-dash!"
He's almost here. But it's 9:59, he's not gonna make it.
I picked up the cookie tin I brought for Mr. Wigglesworth. Time for a distraction. I walked up to him before he could go close the door.
"Mr. Wigglesworth, I made these for you," I smiled and held out the tin.
"What is it?" He took it from me and opened it, "ooh, snickerdoodles. Why would you make these for me?"
"Because you're a great teacher and I wanted to say thank you for helping me become a better chef."
The tardy bell went off, but he was too distracted by his cookies.
Nicky walked in and snuck around us.
"Thank you, Ms. L/N. I really appreciate it," he smiled.
"Of course," I smiled back.
"Oh, the tardy bell went off didn't it?" He set the tin on his desk and went over to shut the door.
I went over and sat next to Nicky. He was breathing heavily and sweating like crazy.
I pulled my extra water bottle out of my bag and handed it to him.
He opened it and drank the whole thing in a matter of seconds, "thanks. And thank you for distracting Mr. Wigglesworth for me."
"Of course, but maybe Ricky's right. Your skillet is slowing you down," I said.
"You know I don't like to cook without her," he said.
"I know, but you can't keep being late to class," I said.
"I will die without her, Y/N."
I rolled my eyes, "I think you'd live."
"She's my baby."
I sighed, "how about you keep it in my locker and I'll bring it to class for you?"
His eyes lit up, "you're a genius."
"I know, I know," I said.
"Alright class, I was going to have you make lasagna today, but I received the most delicious batch of snickerdoodles I've ever had and I want to see if anyone can make them better," Mr. Wigglesworth said.
Someone raised their hand.
"Yes?" Mr. Wigglesworth asked.
"Who made the snickerdoodles?"
"Ms. L/N and it's gonna be tough to beat hers."
Nicky looked over at me, "you made him snickerdoodles?"
"To distract him so you could get here on time," I said.
"You didn't use my recipe did you?"
"No, I've got my own," I said.
"Well then, my Nickerdoodles are gonna beat yours easily," he said.
I shrugged, "I'm a better baker than I am a cook."
"We'll see about that."
"All right, you know where everything is at," Mr. Wigglesworth said, "and Y/N feel free to make more."
"Okay," I said getting up and gathering the ingredients.
"Where's your recipe?" Nicky asked once I made it back to our station.
"I have it memorized," I tapped my head.
He laughed, "you could easily mess this up."
I shook my head and rolled my eyes, "Harper, you don't even know what you're talking about."
"Don't I?"
We both get a little competitive when I comes to us having to go against each other.
I winked at him and started measuring out my ingredients.
Now I need to soften the butter because I have to cream it with the sugar. I put it in the microwave and pressed the butter button.
"You shouldn't put your butter in the microwave if you don't know how to properly soften it," Nicky said.
"You know there's a special button for butter, right?" I asked.
"What?" He leaned down and examined the key pad, "that's cool. I never knew that."
"And now you do, thanks to me," I smiled.
He stood in front of me and we stared each other down.
"You're going down, Harper," I said.
"How many times have you beaten me?"
"None, but I'm confident that this will be the first," I said.
He smirked, "we'll see."
He tapped my nose and went back to his Nickerdoodles.
I got my butter out of the microwave and put it in the bowl of sugar and cinnamon. I also need to add the vanilla and eggs. I did that and then I grabbed the mixer and creamed it until it was smooth.
Now it's time to stir in the dry ingredients.
I stirred it in slowly until it was dough.
Now I need to roll the balls into cinnamon sugar.
I finished that and then I went in with a fork to make cross cross pattern on the cookies and then I sprinkled the leftover cinnamon sugar on top.
I put them in the oven.
"You're slow," Nicky said.
"Yeah, well," I shrugged.
I cleaned up my mess and washed the dishes while I waited for the first batch to be done.
I cut the recipe in half, but it still makes twenty four cookies. Luckily, we have bigger pans here, so it doesn't take as long.