Chapter 7: I Thought We Were Heroes

Gilgamesh walks over to the oven and asks, "Hey, you guys wanna try my pie?" He takes a pie out of the oven and whirls around to face the group

Gilgamesh walks over to the oven and asks, "Hey, you guys wanna try my pie?" He takes a pie out of the oven and whirls around to face the group. Serina feels a pang in her heart at the sight. He looks so content and at peace baking his pies, and here they come to shatter his heart.

"I'm sorry, Gil..." she trails off. The man gives her a baffled glance.

"Ajak's dead," Ikaris states.

A sullen expression takes over Gilgamesh's features. He doesn't want to believe it. "It's true, buddy. We lost her," Sprite affirms. The man's hands drop to his sides, causing his pie to slide off the pan and onto the ground. The other Eternals frown as they watch him hang his head and trudge to the chair in front of him. He sits down and crushes the pan with his bare hands, heartbroken over the devastating news. Serina steps toward him and gently places a hand on his shoulder. Gilgamesh sets his hand over hers and lifts his head to glance at her but a figure behind her catches his eye.

He stands up and approaches Sersi, who's gazing at Thena in the distance. He leads everyone to her and Serina just observes the woman sitting by a tree, wondering if her Mahd Wy'ry is still so intense. She came here a few times to visit them before her career took off and consumed most of her time. Thena attacked her but luckily, she's also a highly-skilled combatant so she was able to fight her off. She had to use her sonic scream to stop her one time when Thena got extremely violent.

"Serina," Gilgamesh warns, putting a hand in front of the girl to stop her from getting any closer to Thena. "The attack triggered her. She's no fun to be around right now," he explains as they watch her. "Hey, Thena. Look who's here," he calls to the woman, approaching her. "Give me your hand."

Serina gets an eerie feeling that she'll possibly act out. Just as she suspected, Thena shoots up and manifests her cosmic energy into a weapon, attacking Gilgamesh. "Thena," the man calls to her as he lifts his arm to block her weapon, golden swirls forming around his fist in the shape of a gauntlet. Serina sticks her arm out in front of Sersi, gently pushing her back protectively.

"Everyone in Centuri-6 is going to die," Thena declares.

Gilgamesh shoots her a concerned gaze. "Give me your hand."

"It's too late. We can't save them," the platinum blonde woman lowers her voice sinisterly.

"Thena."

Thena raises her arm, creating different weapons in her hands. Suddenly, an illusion starts to form around everyone, making them scan their surroundings. Serina turns around to look at Sprite, who's responsible for this illusion. The redhead starts summarizing Thena's story in hopes of helping her remember who she is. It almost works, causing Thena's eyes to flicker from fully white to normal before going white again. Her weapons disappear and she just keeps her hands raised, ready to strike. Gilgamesh reaches his hand out to her and their fingertips touch.