Chapter 10: This Shorty?

Serina and Alex sit on the bench behind Thena and Gilgamesh. While Sersi is catching Druig up to speed, Alex studies him. She's always wondered what this mystery boy her best friend has been in love with for centuries looks like. Now that she's seeing him, she finds it kind of hard to believe it's him. She leans over to her immortal friend and whispers, "¿Este chaparro es el? [This shorty is him?]"

Serina's eyes slightly widen, hoping Druig didn't hear her. "Girl, you whisper loud. Cállate... y si [Be quiet... and yes]," she whispers back. Alex returns to her original seating position and continues to observe the boy. She couldn't forget this kid after Captain America and Lunay? She wonders.

The room falls silent after Sersi summarizes everything. "You've given me a lot of bad news in one go, milady," Druig finally pipes up.

"Will you help us?" Sersi hopefully asks.

"I am glad that-"

Druig is interrupted by Sersi's ringtone. "Juice" by Lizzo sounds through the quiet room, making everyone turn to her as she pulls out her phone. Alex bops her head, mumbling the lyrics under her breath. Sersi silences her phone and Alex comments, "that's a good song. You know, we met Lizzo once."

Serina nods in agreement. "On the Hustlers set. She was cool," she confirms.

Kingo leans his body toward Sersi and whispers, "Hey, what's your service? I'm not getting any bars."

"Me either," Alex whispers, glancing at him behind her. "Are you getting bars?" she asks Serina.

"Uh, let me-" is all Serina gets out before Druig cuts her off.

"Do you all remember this forest? Beautiful," he speaks up as he walks in front of Thena and Gilgamesh. Serina's eyes follow him as he stops in front of them. "It's the last place we all lived together," he mentions. His eyes travel past the duo and land on Serina, making eye contact with her. The girl stares back, finding it hard to believe that she's looking into those ocean eyes again. Druig tears his gaze away from her as he continues, "I've protected these people for 20 generations now from the outside world and from themselves."

He walks through the aisle with his hands behind his back as he speaks, glancing at Serina but rapidly looking away as he passes by her. The girl holds her breath as he does. He stops in front of Karun and acknowledges him, "your kind, my friend, you will be responsible for your own extinction one day. Don't you think?" He looks between Karun and Alex when he asks the last question.

Alex knits her eyebrows together. "What's this gotta do with me?" she sasses.

"I think we must learn from our mistakes and do better, sir. You must not give up hope," Karun answers. Druig looks down as the man talks before glancing up at him with golden eyes. Karun's eyes mimic his as a blank expression forms on his face. He flings his camera to the side, causing it to shatter against the wall. Well, that was a bit uncalled for, Serina thinks. Alex's jaw drops as she watches.