Chapter 25

I slipped into the bulletproof suit, the fabric was cool against my skin. My guns were allowed to be on display this time because we didn't plan to be walking down the street. I pulled on my black denim shorts, a loose, black singlet and a pair of black platform sneakers. I may as well look half decent if I'm going to run into my worst nightmare. I strapped a holster around my thigh and manoeuvered into the straps that held two gun holsters along the side of my ribs. I tied my hair into a messy pony and strolled out of Levi's olive room onto the landing that overlooked the foyer of Levi's house. House was an understatement, sorry, Levi's mansion. We had ventured back here to get changed and it was already buzzing like a beehive with activity. A small group of agents that Levi trusted were setting up a bunch of computers in the dining room, and from the way it was progressing, the same setup they had used when trying to find me was slowly reforming. One of the younger men laughing with Levi whistled when he saw me and nudged Levi. Levi playfully punched him and turned around. Even from a distance, I coulda sworn that his eyes darkened. I made my downstairs into the throng of people and equipment. 'Who's this cutie?' I teased as I ducked under Levi's arm and slung one of my own across the stranger's shoulders.

'G'day mate, name's Luke but everyone calls me Gazza cause I grew up in the bush and Luke never suited,' his strong Australian accent projected loudly through the room.

'Well, Gazza, you have great taste in girls,' I winked and moved back to Levi's side.

'You'll have to invite this fine lady to a classic Aussie barbie at mine,' he grinned at Levi.

'If we make it to the other side then you can take your BBQ on my yacht, bring the roos too,' he laughed at Gazza's souring face, it was obviously some inside joke between the two of them. Gazza's face almost immediately brightened and he clapped Levi on the back before turning on his heel and jumping like a kangaroo for a metre before spinning around to face us again and sticking both his middle fingers up at Levi while he walked backwards. He laughed when Levi returned the gesture with one hand. 'Come on, we've got work to do,' he slid his hand into mine and tugged me towards the dining room doorway.

By the time all the computers were set up and running, and their cords were all plugged into the wall, Levi and I had been running out of daylight to get to our destination. A small group of agents had been going around Prada, Gucci and the State Library to place mini surveillance cameras throughout the buildings for the team at Levi's to watch over. Levi and I were headed for Gucci, Scarlet and Matthew to Prada, and Jake and David to the State Library.

Levi stopped the rarely used navy and sky blue accented sports car a few shops down and in front of an alley. There weren't many people on the pavement at that point in time so Levi handed me my lightweight trench coat to hide the weapons. We got out at the same time and in my mind I pictured this scene in slow motion but we were both wearing dark sunglasses and there was an explosion behind us. A smile tugged at the corners of my lips as I caught up with Levi and matched his step. He pushed open the door to an enormous plaza filled to the brim with expensive brands. Levi ushered me into a lift and pressed the ground floor button. It dropped to a storage area underneath the plaza. 'What are we doing,' I hissed as the doors opened and a group of workers stopped to stare at us.

'Just follow me,' he murmured under his breath as he strolled casually towards them, flicked a badge out of his pocket and flashed it at them. 'Official state business,' he said in a deep gruff voice. I kept my face bland as I sauntered past them and followed Levi to the maintenance lift. The doors to the spacious lift shut with a whoosh. 'What's going on?'

'The maintenance lift isn't for public use and is usually placed away from where the public can go. This lift doesn't stop for anyone, saves hacking into their system which could take a while,' he explained quickly. 'We also have access to the roof which comes in handy when that's our destination.'