4 | Lisa Is Fucking Exhausted

Bucky was stuck in the medical ward for what felt like days, but it would've been only a couple of hours, at most. Lisa waltzed in and out, always looking stressed and always having something to do, whether it be reports to fill, overviews to write, or some kind of tinkering with equipment that may or may not have unnerved Bucky greatly. But, she made comfortable conversation with him whenever she could, probably in a very kind attempt to put him at ease. 

But he couldn't help but notice the little things about her. She smiled tiredly, she sighed softly, she occasionally stretched out slightly. She was exhausted. She was drained. Was it because of him?

Well, of course, it was! If he had been a little more careful, he wouldn't have gotten hurt this bad. And if he hadn't gotten hurt, he wouldn't need to be taken care of like this. He was soaking up all her time and energy.

He couldn't just get up and go, of course, Super soldier healing or not, he still needed to stay in bed. Even if he wanted to get up, Lisa wouldn't let him. And as kind and cute as she was, you didn't want to get on her bad side.

So, what do to? A gift or grand gesture was too much for someone he had just met, and communication was an issue because Bucky Barnes is no wordsmith. So...so...so what?

Lisa walked into the room again, while he was in the middle of thinking, but the sight of her made him abandon any plans that were forming and blurt the first thing on his mind.

"You look tired." Lisa's head snapped upwards at his comment, not angrily, more confused.

"Is it that obvious?" Lisa asked, and Bucky paled at the slight displeasure in her voice.

"No! No, no, I'm not saying you look bad, of course not, you-- you look great." Bucky quickly corrected himself and Lisa smirked as his face began to blush.

"Oh?" She asked, and the simple word was enough to make his ears burn up too.

"I-- well, yeah, I mean...you look-- uhm..." Bucky trailed off nervously before Lisa chuckled, the soft and adorable noise filling Bucky's ears pleasantly.

"I know what you mean, James, don't worry." Lisa smiled, and Bucky grinned back, blush not fading at the mention of his first name in her silky smooth voice. But his expression quickly faded as he tried to find his next words.

"Is it...I'm sorry, if I had been less careless, you wouldn't have to take care of me, and then you wouldn't be so tired and--"

"What?" Lisa interrupted him, confusion visible on her features.

"Well, I mean, you've been in and out all day, taking care of me. And now you're tired, I can tell. I thought I should apologise." Bucky shrugged. There was a small pause before Lisa shook her head.

"No! No, no, never, James. This is my job and I love it. I love treating patients and it's okay that you got hurt. I'm glad I get to look after you, it's better than leaving you injured, isn't it?" Lisa asked, the remains of a smile reappearing on her face.

"Really? You're not upset because of this?" Bucky asked, gesturing to the dressed wound on his abdomen.

"Of course not!" Lisa shook her head with a grin.

"Then, why do you look so exhausted?" Bucky tilted his head to the side and Lisa chuckled.

"Oh, you're so cute, James." Lisa covered her mouth as she giggled and Bucky's face began to heat up profusely.

"Huh?" He asked, enchanted and flustered by her laugh.

"Your concern is adorable, James. But, honestly? You're not the reason I'm so tired. Heh, I guess the reason is pretty dumb..." Lisa sighed with a smile on her face as she pulled up a stool from the corner and sat by Bucky's hospital bed as he straightened to listen.

"Try me," Bucky said, listening intently.

"Ah, well...I miss my kids, that's all." Lisa shrugged.

"You...have kids?" Bucky asked, trying to hide how stunned he is at the new information. Well...probably shouldn't be thinking any romantic thoughts then. Oh, what does it matter? He'd only known her for a day.

"I can't help but wonder if they're okay, even though they called a few hours ago...I suppose the worry's keeping me awake." Lisa breathed in and exhaled as her smile became a little smaller.

"You left them alone?" Bucky asked.

"Yes, but they're sixteen, so it's fine. I think they invited some friends over." Lisa mused.

"Are their friends...y'know..." Bucky trailed off.

"What? Rebellious? No. One of them I haven't met, but the other's a very nice young man and I trust my kids." Lisa nodded.

"Then? Why are you worried?" Bucky asked.

"Oh, I don't know. Motherly instinct? I don't think they'd do anything wrong, but what if one of them gets hurt? What if something happens? It's just paranoia, I guess." Lisa shrugged.

"They'll be okay. Besides, how are they gonna get hurt at home? The worst they'll do is...I don't know, eat too much junk food? I don't know what kids do." Bucky laughed, and Lisa giggled along with him, a bright smile appearing on her face.

"I suppose you're right...thank you. You've managed to put my mind at ease...somewhat." Lisa chuckled.

"Well, it's something." Bucky shrugged with a smile. A comfortable silence fell over the pair for a moment as Bucky contemplated whether or not to ask the question plaguing his mind.

"So...are you..." Bucky started as Lisa tilted her head forward, listening intently.

"Uhm...you're married, then?" Bucky asked.

"What?" Lisa asked, looking taken aback by the question.

"Oh-- uh...maybe I shouldn't have assumed you were married yet, but--"

"James," Lisa said, a smile playing on her face.

"Yeah?" Bucky asked.

"I'm not married anymore." Lisa shook her head.

"Anymore? Wait-- no, sorry, I shouldn't have asked." Bucky shook his head.

"It's fine, don't worry! My ex-husband is my best friend, there's no dramatic backstory there. He still talks to my kids, he still talks to me. It's not like we're on bad terms, it's just...well, I don't think we were cut out for romance. At least, not with each other." Lisa shrugged.

"Heh, sorry. I know I only met you today and this is a lot, I'm sorry--"

"No, no, I, uh...well, I like hearing you talk about your life, it's nice. I'd listen to you talk all day." Bucky flashed Lisa a charming grin, that 1940s charisma shining through. Lisa chuckled, placing a hand on her chest.

"That's very sweet of you, James." Lisa smiled.

"It's true. In fact, if you want, why don't you tell me about your kids?" Bucky suggested.

"My kids?" Lisa repeated as Bucky nodded.

"Well, they're twins - Leon and Pansy - and, God, they drive me crazy..."