Chapter 6 - I Need To Say That I Love You

"Wait, Alex... you did what?" Lena was having a hard time believing what Alex had just told her.

"I know it's a lot of information, but that's exactly what we did. We went back in time to keep you from dying."

Alex looked at Kara, she didn't want to tell Lena what that event had done to Kara, the promise of revenge she'd made, the devastation of her heart that made her want to let go of everything she was. She just said that everyone was very shaken by the loss of her and for that reason Supergirl was really happy to see her again, explaining the big blue eyes bathed in tears.

"Is that why Lex showed up here, to take me? My God, I was going to die... there's no way Lex was really going to do this to me... Why did he do this?"

"Well... this has something to do with what Supergirl is going to tell you next, but he said if he couldn't kill her, he was going to kill you and cause her a lifetime of suffering... basically that."

Lena looked into Kara's eyes, as if she knew something the sisters didn't. Somehow Kara knew that Lena knew of her feelings for her, or at least suspected.

"Because of that," Alex continued, "we knew when he would show up, and where. We came in here at dawn and set up the device to capture him... we apologize for that, for the intrusion. And we were watching you, watching from the roof of the building across the street at the exact moment Lex showed up, which is why we showed up so promptly."

"And you, I don't know how, went back in time... to save my life. I'm still shocked by it, this isn't anything..." Lena searched Kara's eyes again.

"I would do anything to save you..." Kara spoke softly, finally giving the air of grace to her voice.

Alex then realized that was her cue. The exchange of looks between Lena and Kara grew more intense, as it had a few times before, and Alex knew what that meant.

"So... I need to take this bottle to the DEO, to keep it in a place that no one will try to get it or even know where it is... director privileges. Lena, like I said, we had a few things to tell you... and now she's the one who's going to tell you everything else." She looked at Kara and nodded. "I'll let you two talk calmly... and alone. I'll be going."

Alex turned to leave but on her way to the door Kara called out to her, causing Alex to turn around again. Kara walked over and hugged her, speaking softly into her ear.

"Thanks, Alex... I don't know what I would do without you. You really saved my life."

"You know I would do anything for you."

Kara looked at Alex and said "I love you" without sound, just mouthing the words, to which Alex responded with a wink and a slight smile before leaving. When she closed the door behind her, Kara turned to Lena. She took a deep breath and walked towards her again. She was still for a few moments without being able to look into Lena's eyes, she was really nervous, so she started walking around in front of Lena, who was still sitting on the big white sofa.

"Well, I... uh... like Alex said, I do have two things I'd really like to talk to you about, Lena. And neither one is very easy to say, as it involves opening myself up and making myself vulnerable. ... and it freaks me out. And the truth is, I don't even know where to start." Kara smiled nervously.

"You can start by sitting here with me, before you rip a hole in my carpet walking around like this."

Lena tried to calm Kara down, trying to sound as relaxed as possible in that comment, but Kara looked at her without seeming to hear and kept pacing back and forth, searching for words.