♡;; demotion

Almond walked through the doors of his small and old apartment, he had just come home after driving back from the city.
Usually the detective would come home to his daughter eating at the dinner table and giving him a warm greeting though, since Almond had arrived late little walnut was by now already tucked in and sleeping.
Almond couldn't help but feel bad though, last week he promised his daughter he would try to make sure he would come home early so he could make dinner for her. And even though the detective was doing good for a few days, not coming home at such late hours and actually making dinner for her, he still couldn't keep that promise. Though that still didn't mean he didn't feel guilty for poor Walnut.
Almond sighed and took his shoes off, throwing them on the shoe rack right by his door.
He glanced over at Walnut's door and looked down sighing again. "I should probably still apologize.." He thought.
Almond walked over to his daughter's door, hesitant to knock.
The detective lowered his hand to the doorknob, slowly opening it.
Walnut quickly turned her head over to her father who had walked in.
"Dad..?" She rubbed her eyes and sat up.
"Hey sorry for bothering you Walnut."
Almond sat beside her, sighing once more.
"I just wanted to apologize for being late.."
Walnut crossed her arms and turned away from Almond.
"Again...?"
Almond looked over at Walnut and looked back "Right sorry, again."
Walnut looked down, puffing out her cheeks and crossing her arms tight "You are never there for dinner.. what were you doing that made you so late..?"
Almond looked back at her "I... well. I had to deal with a criminal."
Walnut put her arms down and looked to the direction of her father.
"A criminal...? Who?!"
Walnut was immediately interested in who the person was, disregarding her concerns.
"Just some jackass.." Almond got up and looked over at Walnut again.
Walnut looked displeased in her father's answer, still wanting more out of his story.
The detective immediately noticed this and continued "They were some thief.. its unimportant they just were trying to get on my good side."
Walnut turned her head in confusion "Well....?"
Almond raised an eyebrow "Hm?"
"Did you get the thief?! Are they in prison?!"
The detective stood there in silence, his pupils had shrank.
"U-uhm.."
Almond could feel his palms starting to get sweaty, he didn't want to tell his daughter he didn't arrest Bleu especially since he is  supposed to be a role model to Walnut.
"You didn't arrest them??" Walnut blurted out.
The detective got startled flinching when his daughter raised her voice.
"Look I couldn't do it-!"
Walnut gave him a look "Why couldn't you? You always arrest thieves! They are so easy to catch!"
Almond looked down in disappointment "You're not wrong. Your old man is just getting rusty I guess."
"Plus I'm tired, I just need rest."
Walnut's angered look faded, she stood up and gave her father a hug.
"Dad then you should get some rest." She said, whilst looking up at her father.
Almond looked down at her and sighed "You're right.."
"And you should as well kid.. ok?"
Walnut nodded quickly, hugging her father tightly one last time before hopping into her bed.
Almond walked over to the door and turned the lights off, looking back at Walnut whom was facing the wall.
"Good night my little detective." He said softly.
Almond closed the door behind him, walking down the hall and making his way to his room.
Almond entered his room, quickly closing the door behind his and  almost collapsing onto his bed.
The detective immediately closed his eyes and wrapped himself in his blanket, remembering all of the events of today before he eventually drifted off to sleep.

"Bzzt Bzzt"
Almond slowly opened his eyes being suddenly alarmed by his phone ringing.
It was morning, the curtains barely covered the windows leaving Almond with the sun in his eyes.
Grabbing his phone, Almond quickly answered "Yes..?"
"Almond! Heh I didn't expect you to be awake at such an early hour..! uh be sure to arrive at my office like expected! Just reminding you." His boss quickly hung up.
Almond figured his boss felt sorry for yelling at him, or at least sort of sorry.
The detective stared at his phone, looking up to his alarm clock.
"8:00 am..... guess he wasn't lying when he said early." Almond said to himself.
He got up only to realize the other day he passed out before even changing his clothes, leaving him with his old clothes from yesterday.
Almond sighed, getting up and grabbing a change of clothes for today before taking a shower.
Walnut was already up, preparing herself her own meal.
Time had passed as Walnut was still cooking, her father came down stairs.
"Oh, you're making your own food..?" Almond said as he walked over to Walnut.
"Wellll you are usually busy so yeah! Plus I've been getting better at making my own food!" Walnut said with a bright smile on her face.
Almond smiled "I'm glad Walnut."
"But I do apologize, I have to head out early for work."
Walnut turned over to her father and looked down "Oh..." she said in a disappointed tone.
Almond looked over at her "Hey I will make it up to you ok? I'll get you some candy how about that?"
Walnut looked up at Almond with an excited look "Yeah! That sounds good!"
Almond smiled and patted Walnut on the head, grabbing his shoes and coat and heading out the door.