Sixty

Allie

George shut the door behind us and I looked into the house, wondering why it was so awfully quiet.

"Breena doesn't have any plans today, does she?" I asked before looking at George who helped me out of my jacket.

"Not other than having Naomi come visit." He told me, handing my jacket on the wall, followed by his own.

"Hmm..." I muttered. "...well... they're probably watching a film upstairs. Listen, just because we didn't find any drugs today, doesn't mean—"

"Allie, just give it up." George sighed and placed his hands on my upper arms, rubbing them up and down my skin. "Eli said he had stopped smoking, and we didn't find anything today. He's telling the truth."

I sighed, running a hand over my face before nodding.

"You're right." I said with a sigh.

"And he's an adult, angel." George tilted his head, cupping my face with one hand. "They will always be our babies, even when they've all moved out and made lives of their own, but Eli is an adult... Mia is an adult, and Alec is an adult. Even Sabri—"

"No." I cut him off, pointing a finger at him. "Sabrina is not an adult. She may be eighteen—"

"Eighteen is a young adult." George grinned and pressed a kiss to my forehead.

"Well, who here got so upset about Sabrina wanting to find her biological father? If she's an adult, that's her decision."

"And I did end up realising how stupid I was being." He said with a cocky smile on his face.

I sighed.

"I want another child, George." I said, groaning. "Sabrina is eighteen and when she's done with Hogwarts, she's gonna leave us."

"That's not for sure." He tried to assure me. "Alec is twenty-two years old and he still lives here."

"I don't care. I want another baby." I said as I stared up at him. "I want to adopt."

George stared down at me for a second, then sighed.

"We can talk about it, yeah?"

"George—" I stepped back. "...I know what that means. It means no."

"It doesn't mean no, but do you think it's smart to adopt again? Our careers both take up so much of our time! You are at the paper all the time and I have two, soon-to-be three shops to run."

Shaking my head, I folded my arms over my chest.

"I can start working from home more. I did that when the kids were younger. Then they got older and I was able to work at the paper instead of working at home all the time, but if I can have another baby, I'll gladly start working from home again."

George continued to stare at me, obviously thinking about it for a moment, then he looked away.

"We will talk about it, and that doesn't mean—" he was cut off at the sound of a thump coming from the basement.

I immediately looked towards the door, then turned around and walked over, pulling it open.

My heels sounded loud against the wooden stairs as I walked down, and then my eyes saw the two girls.

Sabrina had stumbled into the side table by the sofa, smashing the lamp that stood there, and Naomi was laughing loudly from where she sat on the floor.

On the sofa table, was a few joints and a bag of some green herbs.

Knowing what was going on, I turned and walked back upstairs, closing the door behind me.