𝐭𝐰𝐨

chapter two

chapter two..."NO TOMORROW"

. . . . .

Harry struggled to catch his breath as he sat upright in bed; confused as the familiar surroundings of his dormitory met his sight. Morning light seeped in through the window, warming the foot of his bed; and it took a moment for him to register Ron's voice meeting his ears.

"...you alright, mate?" He asked from the edge of his own bed, tying his shoe.

"Where's Eden?" Harry asked immediately, and Ron's brow furrowed.

"Uh...in the common room, maybe. Why?" he spoke warily, and Harry let out a breath of relief. He laid back down and rubbed his eyes, which only deepened the bemusement on Ron's face.

It was a dream. It was just a dream.

"I had the weirdest dream last night..." Harry trailed off in thought. He could remember the details so vividly. "It felt so real."

"It wasn't like when you saw my dad get attacked by that snake, right?" Ron's face had gone pale.

"No, this was different," he said, and Ron physically relaxed. "It was like...I don't know how to describe it."

"Well, c'mon, then—we're gonna be late for breakfast. There better be bacon and eggs left or your lazy arse'll be sorry," he laughed a little, standing.

Harry's brow furrowed as he sat up once more. "You said that yesterday," he mumbled sleepily. He picked up his glasses and put them on to see Ron looking at him confusedly.

"Yesterday was Sunday," Ron said, scoffing a little; unsure if he was joking or not. "You're always the one waking me up on Sundays."

"...it's Monday?"

"Uh, yeah," Ron slung his bag over his arm. "Meet me downstairs when your brain is working again," he said, and with that, stepped out of the dorm and closed the door behind him.

Harry quickly got up and went to the sink in the bathroom. He cupped his hands under the tap and splashed his face with the cold water, trying to wash away the weird dream from his thoughts. It was just a dream, he convinced himself as he dried his face, ignoring the weird feeling swirling in his stomach.

After slipping on his uniform, he ran a hand through his dark hair—though this barely did anything to tame the tousled strands, and grabbed his bag from the floor beside his bed.

As Harry swiftly stepped down the carpeted staircase, he worried that maybe it was another one of those dreams like the one in which he'd seen Mr Weasley get attacked. Maybe something terrible had happened to Eden somehow; maybe it wasn't just a dream. Maybe she was in trouble.

These thoughts left his mind, however, because as he stepped into the common room, Harry's eyes immediately found the back of Eden's head as she spoke to Ron and Hermione, and he walked over to the group.

His heart felt warm and full as she turned around and sent him the smile he'd grown so fond of in the years of knowing her. At the sight of her happy and well and alive, a strong, aching relief bloomed in Harry's chest; a form of catharsis he'd never felt before. As soon as she was close enough, he enveloped her in a tight hug without thinking.

Eden let out a small sound of surprise at this, and her face flushed a shade of pink he couldn't see. She traded confused glances with Ron and Hermione, but eventually wrapped her arms around him, too; awkwardly patting his back as he held her.

"Are you alright?" She asked quietly in his ear, and he pulled away. Concern laced her expression; not used to such physical affection from her friend. He cleared his throat.

"I just—I had this dream, and you..." Harry trailed off. There was barely anyone in the common room, as most Gryffindor students had already filtered out for the Great Hall. Ron and Hermione had already started creeping away towards the portrait hole.

He felt his heart flutter at how close Eden was standing, and the image of her disappearing into the Veil flashed across his mind like a memory, rather than a dream.

"Doesn't matter," he said, managing a smile, and she hesitated, but stepped away. The two trailed after Ron and Hermione as they left the common room.

Something felt wrong, but he couldn't quite pinpoint exactly what it was.

. . . . .

—a/n:
i'm so excited for this plot
-g