Chapter 4: "The Moment of Truth"

Word count: 1311 words

"Where do you want me to start, Jonathan?"

Jonathan knitted his eyebrows, trying to rewind whatever hit his mind back at Evan's – what exists as ours is already gone – house. "I-I don't know," he replied, his eyes moving back and forth between Evan's confused ones and his twiddling thumbs, "blood baffled me, Evan. I suddenly remembered holding someone so important to me in my arms, with blood everywhere on me. But I'm pretty sure it wasn't mine, or yours, in this case; it was the one's I was holding."

Evan looked at him in a puzzled manner he almost couldn't believe he was talking to this lost guy in front of him. "The voice in my head kept saying that he wasn't the one," he decided to continue, pushing further into the dim information he slowly acquired, "and who was the 'he', exactly? Why my head kept telling you that it was you? And how come my head can't recall what happened two years ago vividly?

"Then, I realized that it had been two years, Evan," he continued his ceaseless blabber, "it had been fuckin' two years that I recognized myself as a very happy-go-lucky person, because you had never been in my mind. How was that even possible, Evan? You were the biggest problem of my life, and I didn't even worry a tad bit about you being locked in a jail. And then, you came to steal the vacant spotlight, crumbling the non-existent self I was momentarily proud of down to pieces. You're messing up my memories like there are some missing pieces I can't find, but everything's so blurry I never felt those missing pieces ever existed before."

In an attempt to respond, Evan parted his lips, and he paused there, no words coming out of his voice cord. He still couldn't figure where was the point of random facts Jonathan was telling him, so he wasn't in the position to tell Jonathan anything at all. Since when did the bathtub shrink? It suddenly felt so claustrophobic being in the water with Jonathan.

Jonathan studied Evan for a while before sighing and looked away. "You don't and won't get what I'm feeling, anyways," he stated bluntly, eyes downcast with an awareness that telling what was in his mind wasn't going to work.

"No, Jonathan. I get it, alright?," Evan replied, taking that as a chance for him to slide closer to Jonathan and took Jonathan's twiddling thumbs in a grip, not strong enough to crush the other's thumbs but Jonathan winced anyways, "because I'm the one who made you like that. I...did something horrible to you, Jonathan. Did you ever find out that you're eventually going to have a murderer of an ex-boyfriend?"

Jonathan looked at him, face etched with obvious resentment. If looks could kill, Evan would have been long gone. “I remember that perfectly, Evan. You were there. You killed my sister, and I’m not going to forget that,” he said, but then his expression switched back to the insecure Jonathan Evan knew whenever it was a day before his birthday because what if everyone forgets about my birthday, Evan?, “but there was a piece from the flashback of mine when you told me to run. What…what did I do wrong? Why did you tell me to run? There’s clearly something I’m missing.”

Surprisingly, Evan’s reaction wasn’t what Jonathan expected it would be – his eyes widened and his slouched shoulders squared, and he darted his eyes away to obscure the answers being reflected on his onyx orbs. Jonathan could mentally note that there was something he missed. He was sure that he was so close to unveil something he didn’t know. “Wow, Evan, thanks for the three-year relationship of secrets and lies. I’m glad it ended two years ago so you can fuckin’ stop being a sinner like the liar you are,” he stated angrily, rather exhaustedly, but it was mostly the anger that Evan could detect. He pulled back his hands from Evan’s touch, and he covered his face with them shortly afterwards. He really felt like crying, but he feared that he’d have no more tears and he’d cry tears of blood for a liar called Evan Fong. That wasn’t worth it.

“I love you, Jonathan. I really do,” Evan said in an unexpected whisper, looking back up at Jonathan even though he knew the other wouldn’t look at him with the same caring eyes he had back then, “and that's the reason why I just…didn’t want you to see your sister’s life being taken away by your own boyfriend” – the one you loved so much you promised wouldn’t leave him ‘till eternity, but Evan let those words clog his throat and choke him until God-knows-when – “I didn’t want you to be stamped as a criminal like me in those whole lot of police records, because you were there with me, and they would’ve thought that we were accomplices. Did I make my intention clear already?"

The other sighed to his wrinkling palms, and spoke with a muffled voice, "I don't know who to have faith on anymore. Not even you, Evan. Not even David. Not even whoever they are you mention them."

Throwing his face in shame, Evan overheard the subtle disappointment in Jonathan's voice like overdosing on a painful scream knifed through his brain, as ear-splitting and agonizing as it sounded.

"I'd certainly like to hate you, Evan, but why can't I?," Jonathan said sadly, taking his hands off his face slowly and his face still stunned Evan as ever, "maybe you had been occupying the special place in here for too long." He pressed three fingers on his chest where his heart was and put some pressure on his skin. "Maybe, just maybe, you took what was important in here and left with it."

Evan sighed heavily. "I'm sorry, Jonathan. I had to kill her, okay? She was trying to steal what's crucial for me. She was the real criminal, not me!"

"What did she do wrong, Evan?!"

"She was trying to steal you from me, Jonathan!"

Jonathan gasped, mouth gaping like a fish desperate for water. So, Evan had been heaving that dark secret for years from Jonathan? Her own sister had a brother complex for him?

Evan's hands clenched in tight fists, shutting his eyes and let his own vision fall into complete darkness, wishing for the mix of disgust and are-you-kidding-me expression on Jonathan's face to go away. Go as far as possible. "I can't let that happen naturally, Jonathan. Fate has to go down like this."

Before Jonathan could calm himself down, a piece of forgotten voice suddenly crossed his head.

"W-We can be...together..."

His sister's voice was comprehensible, but the words were spoken in murmurs like his sister was gargling blood in her throat.

"...as long as...he kills us both..."

And he remembered the dread slithering on his skin and tears rolling down his cheeks rapidly in spite of the vagueness of his recollection. He loved Evan so much, but losing his sister was a different story.

"Jonathan," Evan's voice suddenly bored through his mind, shattering his reminiscence with that single word of his own name, "I need to show you something, and I hope I'm not too late for it. Are your desktop equipments still working fine?"

Jonathan couldn't believe what he was hearing. Evan wasn't having the time of his life, and was that how he would cheer himself up? Being the old, famous VanossGaming he was? "There is no time to pla–"

"Please, Jonathan. I really need to show you something."

Jonathan raised a brow at him, extracting some signs of jokes in Evan's voice, but none was found. I guess it's alright for him to touch my equipments, he thought, looking at Evan sternly.

"Just this once, Vanoss. Just this once."

+ + + + +

AUTHOR'S NOTE #5
eyyy i'm bacckk!!!!!! so yeah that was the fourth chappie guise i hope i didn't disappoint anyone??
sorry for the late update. school constantly keeps on ruining my schedule :-(
sooooooo 'kay byeeeeee heheee